Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What are the steps to replacing a fuel pump (99 denali)

blakey2000
06-28-2004, 10:37 AM
I have a 3 inch body lift and there space between the top of the tank and the cab, is that enough or do I have to drop the tank? How much work is involved and what are the steps? HELP!

I assume its my problem, I used to hear a sound before starting the truck, now I dont hear it and the truck wont start. I run it low on fuel alot and it has 90k miles. I checked the relay first and that wasnt it

blakeyatwork@yahoo.com

LaxYukon
06-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Can't speak of the Denali specifically, but on my 98 Yukon, we needed to drop the tank, as the bucket assembly that holds the pump needs to be lifted straight out.

EMPTY THE TANK!! :smile:
Disconnect the fill line, and vent at the rear of the tank (hose clamps on the rubber hoses).
The retainer straps attach to the edge of the frame by the driver side doors, they needed some WD-40 for the bolts to turn, the straps also attach to the frame near the center of the vehicle.
At that point, the tank can come down enough to remove the hoses, and electrical connections.
After those are removed, through carefull rocking of the tank, you should be able to work it loose.

I'm still looking for help in choosing a replacement pump, http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=246903
specifically, how noisy on radios is a pump without the RFI filter? Parts place in town has a Carter P74770M for $151, but it has no RFI filter. Other places have a Master E3972M, can't get good specs on it. I have a few 2-way radios in the truck, and don't wan't to introduce any additional interference.

FWIW, this seems to be a common problem, I've got 85k miles, just bought it a few months ago, and a yearly replacement of the fuel filter is going to be added to my annual maintenance.

-chris

Add your comment to this topic!