Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stalling in reverse

3moores
06-27-2004, 10:15 PM
This car was given to me and it's been such a pain. I have a 1991 SL and I've done a ton of things to it already in a month. I don't want to give it up now that I invested so much time and money into it. When I start the car and put it in drive or reserse it stalls when I hit the gas. only when starting and only when I hit the gas. The guy down the street said transmission. I paniced. I'm thinking fuel related. thinking of trying a new fuel filter first then if that isn't it, having the fuel pump checked. but I don't know. I honestly know nothing about cars. looking for suggestions. I do not have a lot of money and can't really afford to get ripped of by a garage (I'm a single mom) Thank you in advance to anyone who will give advice

sierrap615
06-27-2004, 11:54 PM
auto or 5-speed?

3moores
06-28-2004, 09:13 AM
auto

sierrap615
06-28-2004, 10:28 PM
to more questions: have you ever noticed a slam going in to reverse and have you ever noticed a slam going to any other gear?

there are a few possiblys i'm thinking of. needing a new tran is not out of the question, but with any luck, we will fix you tranmisson.

first, look over at saturnfans.com, godly loads of knowege there.

fuel? maybe a small chance, but i doubt it.

if it slams in to any gear, it may be a loose input shaft nut. if it only slams in to reverse, some times a quick fix called "reverse slam cure" will work, its detailed at saturnfans.

a bad diode in the alternator may also be to blam

heres what will really save you:
also on saturnfans, wolfman, one of the master members, gave his option on a simular problem - http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=36245

Add your comment to this topic!