Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

wheels and tires

89IROC&RS
06-27-2004, 07:59 AM
hey all, im going to school up in vermont this fall and am putting some bigger tires on the wrangler, its a stock 95. i have a guy i work with who is going to give me a set of four 31 x 10.5's for free and am buying rims to put them on. will those size tires mount on a 15x7 rim? or do i need a bigger rim like 15x8 or 15x10?

also i am looking at clearance issues with the rear tires and the fender extentions. with the car sitting at rest, it looks like they will fit with just a hair of clearance, but if i hit anything to make the suspention come up, it will tear into that fender extention. ive found fender extentions that are wider and offer an additional 4in of clearance, but they are 250-360 dollars which i think is a major rip off. and ive found a 2in lift kit with all new shocks, mounding hardware, and an additional leaf spring. wich is only 250 bucks. which would you all suggest??? or is there another option i dont know about. im on a tight budget, and would have a hard time explaining the 250 for the lift kit as is.

thanx for the help

89IROC&RS
06-27-2004, 08:27 AM
oh hit up ebay, found two options.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7906859961&category=33585

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7906933999&category=33585

either of these look like they are worth the money, the add a leaf i unerstand, and seems like a solid choice, however im not really sure what the shackle lift does, is it a body lift, or a suspention lift????

fredjacksonsan
06-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Shackle is the part between the end of the leaf spring and the body. It allows for some fore and aft play when your suspension compresses. A shackle lift is going to be a longer shackle, which in effect will put your axles down a little lower. It's a suspension lift.

Jeep used the 15x8 rims with their larger tires from the factory, and still do, but the factory tires are 30" I think.

89IROC&RS
06-29-2004, 07:32 PM
i think the 30in tires were on the newer jeeps, but mine has dinkey little 26in tires with 15x7 rims. hence my delema. but yeah, i think im goin with the shackle lift.

goinbig
06-30-2004, 12:16 AM
those tires WILL fit on the 15x7" wheels. For something not too expensive and for just a little more clearance for the tires, I would go with a 2" body lift. You can pick them up for around $60, sometimes cheaper.

LHorse007
07-17-2004, 01:54 PM
those tires will fit on 15x7 rims, but not properly, i put 33x12.5's on 15x8 rims and it pulled the edges of tire off the ground further than usual, if your going to go the trouble of doing a lift, get a suspension lift, my cousin is a mechanic and he put on a 3in body lift, said if he could do it again, he'd put on a suspension lift, which is what he helped do to my jeep, we put a 3" lift on my jeep, which actually raised it 4"

one thing i really dislike the body lift is that it requires more welding if you want it done right, other wise, you're stick shift will sink into the floor for however much you lift it. and also, if it's older jeep, you're better off replacing the suspension anyway, my shocks where gone when i took them off.

Add your comment to this topic!