Double din or single?

3kgtnewbie
06-27-2004, 12:48 AM
Hey all... I'm looking to finally get rid of my stock stereo head unit and the equalizer. I just can't decide. I can't really seem to find a nice double din that I like (looks wise) So I was wondering if anyone here has one? And how does it look?

Also... if I just buy a single, how would that look with the equalizer? Is there anyway to get rid of that? Sorry, I'm not really the expert with the sound stuff.

Forgot to ask. I have the stock 6 disk changer in the back. Will it be compatible with any new head unit?

Kev3000GT
06-27-2004, 08:25 PM
hey man. i'm in the same boat. ive seen a couple of 3kgts that just replace the top 1/2 of the stereo w/say a Pioneer CD dash, and leave the bottom 1/2 as a space saver. It doesnt look that bad.

haaj
06-28-2004, 12:10 AM
I was wondering about the same exact thing. I have seen 3000GTs with both a new head unit and a new equalizer, but I have no idea where to get one. But it looked pretty tight, in fact it was a show car...

Anyone know where to get a graphic EQ unit that can hook up to an aftermarket head unit?

3kgtnewbie
06-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Yea, I was thinking about a 1-1/2 head unit, and then just leave the rest, but... if you were to take out the stock double din it would leave the hole. Then you put in the 1-1/2... But what about the rest of the space?

Know what I mean? Can't think of a way to explain it better. Can you buy something to put there? I haven't got enough money to buy both a new 1-1/2 and an equalizer of some sort. That's why I was thinking either a double din or the other. But it's hard to find nice looking double dins.

haaj
06-29-2004, 07:11 PM
I know what you mean... looks to me like you should be able to fit 2 standard-side units in there, so I'm hoping to find a deck and an equalizer I can hook together. Could be wrong though.

aznnutty
06-30-2004, 08:06 AM
try to find a dvd player for the car so when the screen pulls out, it covers the hole, i'm trying to find a nav system to install into my first gen..

3kgtnewbie
07-01-2004, 12:24 AM
<----is still in high school... with a part-time job= I have no money. So a DVD/Nav system is out of the question. Think I'm just going to look on eBay for a while :mad:

youngvr4
07-01-2004, 03:47 AM
put 2 cd players in there :iceslolan bet it look nice

Igovert500
07-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Well I originally didn't answer because I had no idea what the hell a din was. However, now I think I have the jist. If you are curious as to fitting 2 units well into the space the stock headunit leaves behind, I have an equalizer and then a headunit on top.

Kev3000GT
07-04-2004, 06:07 PM
coincidentally, i just bought and installed an Alpine CD player yesterday. It doesn't have the cd changer option. the bottom din is covered up but im telling you, it looks fine. it starts to all blend in and I think it looks nicer than that old stock thing they call a radio.

John Pannebaker
07-07-2004, 06:03 PM
I couldn't live with out my mute button on the steering wheel, can you get a new head unit that still incorporates this feature?

Add your comment to this topic!