Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Alarm going off when car not armed

gregco
06-26-2004, 04:03 PM
My 2000 Yukon alarm has been going off when the car in not locked or alarmed. I'm assumeing it's a computer problem. Does anyone know how to reset the computer or alarm to fix this problem? Or, does anyone know how to unhook the alarm until I can get it in to the shop. Right now I just have the battery disconected.
By the way, it's the factory alarm not an after market.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks,

gregco
06-28-2004, 09:00 PM
I'm still trying to figure out this alarm problem. I'm told that disconnecting the battery will clear and reset all of the codes. I only disconnected one of the terminals and it didn't work. Do I need to disconnect both positive and negative or does it matter? Please, anyone with knowledge of electrical issues with the Yukon respond...so my family can sleep tonight.

Thanks

Greg

ponchonutty
06-29-2004, 08:22 PM
It shouldn't really matter but I am pretty sure that even resetting the alarm won't help you that much. I hate OEM alarms!

gregco
06-29-2004, 09:17 PM
It shouldn't really matter but I am pretty sure that even resetting the alarm won't help you that much. I hate OEM alarms!

Thanks for the response, Poncho. I took it into the dealer yesterday and, after trying to sell me some grease for my steering unit and an oil change, he claimed it was the back lift gate latch. I'm not sure that's what fixed the problem since it hadn't gone off since I disconnected both battery cables. Anyway, I got nailed for $85.

If you're interested, here's an off topic observation.... I'm not rich but I own 2 Mercedes...one for ten years and the other for five. I rarely have any of these little annoying things happen with either of those cars (if something simple does occur the dealer fixes it for free). It seems like small problems happens all the time with the Yukon XL. When I take the Mercedes in they offer me a free loaner car, the GM folks offered me shuttle service but balked when they found out that I was a few miles off the freeway. When I pick up my Mercedes after service they wash it every time. When I picked up the Yukon it was dirty and there was someone's McDonald's cup in the drink holder and the radio was on full blast. Some might say you get what you pay for, but really, a Mercedes is not much more than a fully loaded Yukon of Denali. I'm willing to bet that I'll spend less overall on the Mercedes than the Yukon. Problem is, I need the room and the 4WD. Sorry for boring you.. I just need to rant after having the alarm go off at 3:00am..3:15...3:30 etc.

ponchonutty
06-30-2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the response, Poncho. I took it into the dealer yesterday and, after trying to sell me some grease for my steering unit and an oil change, he claimed it was the back lift gate latch. I'm not sure that's what fixed the problem since it hadn't gone off since I disconnected both battery cables. Anyway, I got nailed for $85.

If you're interested, here's an off topic observation.... I'm not rich but I own 2 Mercedes...one for ten years and the other for five. I rarely have any of these little annoying things happen with either of those cars (if something simple does occur the dealer fixes it for free). It seems like small problems happens all the time with the Yukon XL. When I take the Mercedes in they offer me a free loaner car, the GM folks offered me shuttle service but balked when they found out that I was a few miles off the freeway. When I pick up my Mercedes after service they wash it every time. When I picked up the Yukon it was dirty and there was someone's McDonald's cup in the drink holder and the radio was on full blast. Some might say you get what you pay for, but really, a Mercedes is not much more than a fully loaded Yukon of Denali. I'm willing to bet that I'll spend less overall on the Mercedes than the Yukon. Problem is, I need the room and the 4WD. Sorry for boring you.. I just need to rant after having the alarm go off at 3:00am..3:15...3:30 etc.

Yeah, most higher end motor car dealers tend to go a little further when you visit them compared to most domestics. I can say though that I have had very nice service with my dealer. It happens to be NOT the one I bought the truck from though. They actually pick up my Silverado at my house and leave me usually a new car to drive in the mean time. All they ask is for me to replace any gas that I use. They then bring back my truck with a bill then I send in a check. That's it! Now, they usually do not wash the truck for me but they have brought up service/warranty items that I had not thought of before. Most dealers only do what you tell them and don't look for any more problems or potential problems especially when it is under warranty.

Add your comment to this topic!