Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Best CURRENT muscle cars.

JoeRocket
06-26-2004, 09:06 AM
list what you think is the best current muscle car (Y2K and newer).

ex.
camaro
mustang,

etc.

Layla's Keeper
06-26-2004, 11:42 AM
Well, we're going to limit the muscle cars to the four seaters, since if we drag in Corvette, we've got to drag in Viper. And if we drag in Viper, that means the Mosler, the Saleen, the GT, the Panoz Esperante, and the Panoz AIV are all up for consideration, too.

And of that bunch I'd take the Mosler MT900 Photon any day of the week. Stellar looks, most car for the price, and it's a thoroughbred race car for the street instead of a sissified retro replica (GT) or tuner-ego trip (Saleen).

Now, of the modern muscle cars, the Camaro Z28 SS is the front runner. Immeasurable bang for the buck, great (if mildly prehistoric) chassis, and solid dependability.

The SVT Cobra Mustangs are right behind in second, being the more highly developed (but also more highly expensive) response to the Z28 SS. It's down to brand loyalty and hair splitting when you get to these two. (and since I'm a Mopar guy 1st, GM 2nd, Camaro gets top spot for me)

The Firebird Trans-Am WS-6 comes in a close third for being the more stylish, if slightly heavier portion of the F-body pair. It never gets the attention you'd think its muscular, heavily scooped body would command, and the SLP Firehawks were lethal.

Tie for fourth comes to the Mach 1 Mustang and the new GTO. The GTO is a poised and handsome coupe, having all the muscle needed to hang with its smaller pony car brethern and yet having the gusto and chutzpah to be able to challenge BMW, Infiniti, Chrysler, and Mercedes-Benz on their home turf at a bargain price. The Mach 1 takes those great DOHC heads for the 4.6L V8) and gives them to us in a much cheaper and very stylish package. Plus it sounds great.

Tagging along at the end in 5th is the Mustang GT. It's the far and away sales volume leader, but its the slug of the group in all categories. Not that it's slow, just that it's in some pretty heady company.

Honorable mention goes to the Hemi Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum. Good work getting RWD and V8 power back into American cars (plus those 300C's are selling like mad around here) now let's see a hot rod coupe with that 345+ hp.

I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment of modern muscle.

JoeRocket
06-26-2004, 06:01 PM
pretty fair assessment indeed. you know your stuff, and give a very convincing argument. have you ever thought of writing for an automotive magazine? Now, i know i specified "muscle car", which is exactly the category you reviewed. But, to me, many imports now cross overs somewhat into this category (IMO) i.e. 350z. How do you think imports would fall into your ratings? they obviously have a slight advantage gross overall weight, and the fuel economy advantage. but when your talking asphalt ripping speed in the quarter mile, 0-60, and agility in the slalom(sp), combined with bang for your buck, i believe some tuners may place high on your list. what do you think? (im usually a truck guy, so im trying to learn)

73455transam
06-26-2004, 08:10 PM
Imports are NOT muscle cars. A muscle car needs to be domestic. This mainly because muscle cars shouldn't sound like weed-eaters.

65Ponchoboy
06-26-2004, 08:46 PM
imports are not and will never be muscle cars. they can keep trying to be the posers they are but thats about it. hey um i dunno if you guys would classify this as a current muscle car but what about the cadillac XLR with the 320hp 4.6 Northstar? and while i was looking through the caddy site i thought this was sick, they are making a speical V series CTS with a 400hp 5.7 LS6 now would u classify this as muscle or as a insane yuppie grocery getter

xyfalconsrock
06-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Australia's own Ford Falcon GT with its BOSS 290 putting out 290Kw(cant remember the HP) and running mid-high 14's at the quarter mile.Not forgetting its a heavy 4 door(1.8t).Also not being a holden man i'd still have to say the HRT427 that was very close to being released.7.0L says it all.Most of australia's big muscle is priced under $70,000 and is capable of killing many imports.But all the ford fans are waiting for the re-introduction of the mighty 351(fingers crossed):worshippy

Sean_S
06-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Honorable mention goes to the Hemi Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum. Good work getting RWD and V8 power back into American cars (plus those 300C's are selling like mad around here) now let's see a hot rod coupe with that 345+ hp.

You won't have to wait too long. The SRT-8 will be a 425+ hp version of the 300C.

JoeRocket
06-28-2004, 09:04 AM
wow, calm down guys. just throwing out a little mental stimulation. so the exhaust note is what makes it a muscle car? or the fact that it "needs to be domestic?"

strongboy2005
06-28-2004, 03:49 PM
i have always thought a "muscle car" had to be domestic and between 1964 and 1973.

BleedDodge
06-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Y2K and newer you say? Well it was August 2001 when I bought my Challenger, if that counts. Challengers are my favorite muscle cars. I know people say that they're pony cars and stuff, but no, this one was a muscle car. It moved like one, so I don't care what people say.

Layla's Keeper
06-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Well, if we were to cut out "muscle car" at 1973, we leave out some truly fine 70's muscle beasts that ran good numbers even when saddled with smogged out engines and federal safety standards.

1974 Hurst/Olds Cutlass W-30

http://www.hubcapcafe.com/i/2001/saxon/olds7401.JPG

1977-78 6.6L Firebird Trans-Am "Blackbird".

http://www.streetrebels.ch/picsmembers/transambrunonorm.jpg

1977 Monza Mirage

http://www.v8monza.com/album/images/monza-mirage/mirage-77-wt-005-325.jpg

Credit where credit's due, guys. GM was still trying to make performance cars in the 70's long after the writing was on the wall.

JoeRocket
06-29-2004, 05:45 AM
I guess what i was getting at guys. what makes it a "muscle car"? I had a 1977 Buick LeSabre years ago, with a 350 V-8. People never considered my car a "muscle car", Yet I often hear people calling the v-6 mustang they got from the rental car agency a "muscle car". I think you guys answered it for me. "Muscle Car" is a symbol from an Era in our past. whether its 1970's steel or Y2K carbon fiber, Its more a state of mind and a set of American ideals.

strongboy2005
06-29-2004, 01:21 PM
I've just always thought of a "muscle car" as the big, squarish, powerful cars from the 60s. When you show me a picture of a car from the mid-to-late 70s and 80s, you can just look at it and KNOW it's not a muscle car. I would say "muscle car" is not just a performance standard - it's an image. And I've always felt that the image set by the muscle cars of old was so distinct from what exists today (after the new emissions laws), that they deserve to be named muscle cars.

Ace$nyper
06-29-2004, 01:25 PM
I think there are no current ones there sports cars now. Last "real" muscle cars were the 80s GN Monte Carlo.

Musclecarclub
06-30-2004, 03:56 AM
Muscle cars are at the broadest definition, an American two door car with a V8 and a back seat. I would put imports under "sporty cars" or "sport cars." Modern muscle cars would include the Pony cars (Camaro, Firebird, Mustang), and the new GTO.

1g1yy
07-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Seems that everyone defines "muscle car" according to their own needs and/or desires! :rolleyes:

MrPbody
07-07-2004, 07:54 AM
The definition of "muscle car" was established in 1964 and has not changed. There is only one (1) current muscle car. Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, Challengers, etc. are all PONY cars, NOT muscle cars. The GTO is the only one. While these other cars are good "performance" cars, they are not muscle.
Pontiac, when establishing the class, stated a muscle car is an intermediate body with a "big car" engine in it. While LS1 isn't exactly a "big car" engine, it is a good performer, and when installed in an intermediate-sized car (like the Holden Manaro), makes "muscle".
Debate it all you want, but the definition stands for 40 years, and will for another 40.
Now, IF the Japs build a V8, rear drive intermediate car for performance, it could be considered a muscle car. They don't...
Plymouth made a fatal error when they put a V6 in the Prowler. A V8 car would have sold well. Chevy is now attempting to cash in on that issue, with that new little truck. But the V8 is an anemic repro of the old 262. It has the sound of a V8, but can't back it up...

-Josh-
07-07-2004, 07:30 PM
wow, calm down guys. just throwing out a little mental stimulation. so the exhaust note is what makes it a muscle car? or the fact that it "needs to be domestic?"

They do need to be domestic. What makes it a muscle car? Read my reply to muscle cars in inifinty's boast thread. And read my sig. That's what muscle cars are.

musclecarfanatic
07-07-2004, 07:43 PM
just for the record...there is NO muscle car y2k or earlier...theyre all sports cars that are luxourious and crap like that...i firmly beleive the muscle car era was from 55-73ish...but thats just my point of view on the subject

Ratieya455
07-09-2004, 04:45 PM
IMO, the definintion of a muscle car is a cheap car with a performance upgrade package. Sad to say, that means rice rockets. We have to accept that they are the new muscle cars, and that the Mustang and new GTO are in fact pony cars, as they are not based on a cheaper model. I'll only mention the Saturn ION Red Line, Dodge SRT-4, and upcoming Chevy Cobalt SS, as posting offensive terms on this forum is forbidden. (I mean foreign sport compacts.)

To answer the question, the closest thing to a muscle car today is perhaps the Dodge Magnum R/T and hopefully soon the Dodge Magnum SRT-8. The Chrysler 300C is what the original letter cars were and that is a fast luxury car.

Layla's Keeper
07-09-2004, 06:45 PM
I dunno, being based on the Holden Monaro/Commodore seems to qualify.

Mustang is based loosely on the LS platform, which kind of makes it based on a more expensive platform. Hmm, Mustang is the grocery getter Lincoln/T-Bird/Jaguar?

But, anyhoo, the current sport compact boom is similar to the Muscle Wars (and the leader is still Mother Mopar, W00T! ). It's a parallel. The cars may not be modern day muscle cars, but they're certainly doing the same thing as their forefathers did four decades ago.

strongboy2005
07-09-2004, 07:37 PM
The definition of "muscle car" was established in 1964 and has not changed. There is only one (1) current muscle car. Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, Challengers, etc. are all PONY cars, NOT muscle cars. The GTO is the only one. While these other cars are good "performance" cars, they are not muscle.

I see Pony car as a class of muscle car (which I define to be any car with a back seat and a V8 engine in a 1964-1974 car), and not separate from it. Like saying California is a state in the United States...

Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, and Challengers are, in my opinion, some of the best muscle cars made in the '60s and '70s and should not be degraded from their position because they weren't fat enough...

Musclecarclub
07-10-2004, 04:25 AM
I agree that Pony cars are a subset of muscle car, just like fullsize cars like the Impala SS. But the relationship is more like how Puerto Rico is related to the U.S. A true muscle car is an intermediate size car. A broader definition would also include Pony cars and fullsize cars.

tim1950
07-10-2004, 04:36 PM
I've always thought that to qualify as a true muscle car, It has to have a Big Block in a intermediate body, with out any luxury options. It is generaly thought to be cars between 1964 to 1971. When the performance (HP) and compression ratio's dropped, that was the end of an era. Do they still make fast cars? Yes they do . But in the true sense of the word, they aren't "Muscle cars" any more. This is just my opinion, it may or may not be share by others.MUSCLE CARS

slothboy
07-13-2004, 06:28 PM
There's No Such Thing As A Current Muscle Car! There Was Only A Spread Of A Few Years That American Muscle Cars Were Born. I Don't Know What Your Definition Of Muscle Car Is ,but The New Cars Certainly Don't Fit That Description.sure These Cars Are Fast There Not Made W/heart & Soul Anymore.there Made By Conservative,white Collar Corporate Yuppies Who Turn A Profit...BESIDES YOU CAN'T CHANGE WHAT A WORD WAS MEANT TO BE B THROWING CURRENT IN FRONT OF IT. NOW THEY'RE CALLED SPORTS CARS!!!

slothboy
07-13-2004, 10:22 PM
A Muscle Car Was A Certain Look. 2dr.cpe.the Nose Was Slightly Longer Than The Rear Clip. They Were,if You Will,beefy. The Best Yrs.were 67-711/2. Its A Few Yr. Span(ex.take The 78 Skylark)came Late But It Says Muscle.the Louder & Meaner The Better! What Part Of Fuel Inj.screams Muscle?

slothboy
07-13-2004, 10:25 PM
Take A Vintage Impala For Ex. Some Had A 350 But It Wasen't Muscle. Yeah 2dr 350 But How Can You Consider That A Muscle Car By Looking At It! LONG SQUARISH NOSE LONG SQUARE REAR CLIP! TO ME IT SCREAMS GRANNY! WHEN A CAR IS TO LENGTHY IT SAYS CLASSIC.

Layla's Keeper
07-13-2004, 11:44 PM
What part of fuel injection screams muscle?

Say that around Chevy fans and it's liable to get you kicked in the jimmy since Vette used MFI from 1957 to 1965.

And what's so "sports car" about the Buick Grand National? Last time I checked, taking a low price midsize coupe (The Buick Regal) and dropping a hot engine into it for lots of straight-line speed (the Buick Turbo V6) and then dressing the car up with hood scoops, spoilers, wheels, and interior goodies made for a muscle car.

As for the longer hood than deck comment, you've obviously ignored 1965-1967, especially on the Chrysler end of things.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/13000/67gtx13040-A.jpg
http://www.klassiskebiler.dk/museum/indhold/billedarkiv/Chevrolet_chevelle_malibu_ss_1965.jpg
http://www.cvfd-co8.com/images/fairlane.jpg

And what were John Z DeLorean and Lee Iacocca? Geez, Iacocca, the man who took McNamara's little granny car and made the Mustang out of it, is also responsible for the Chrysler K-cars and the minivan as a whole.

Grow up you xenophobic imbecile. Try to take your head out of the sand and realize muscle has grown up these days and is taking on the world. If you stay on the track you're on now, you've bought a one way ticket too.....

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/33812Bannsville.jpg

1g1yy
07-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Well, it's just as I said, everyone defines "muscle car" according to their one needs and desires! :iceslolan

And for those who think a "muscle car" has a strictly defined definition -- just open any dictionary and you will see countless examples of how popular usage has not only added to, but changed definitions!! :loser:

MrPbody
07-14-2004, 08:42 AM
John Z. is THE MAN! Iaccoca reskinned a Falcon and called it "Mustang". He also sold out to Mitsubishi, and when things turned around for Dodge, he asked Congress for protection against the Japs.
A "sports car" is a 2-seater, designed for high performance road driving. A "sports sedan" (what we're inundated with today, and GM has the best for the money), is a performance-oriented (note I omitted "high") 4-door (or in some cases 2 or 5) "family" car that handles well and has some ass when you kick it.
'57 Chevys (and Bonnevilles) were NOT muscle cars. Corvette is NOT a muscle car. What muscle car was fuel injected? What muscle car came with a small block? Zero. Zip. Nada....
I have not modified the definition of "muscle car", I have extracted it from "The history of the American Automobile". A good piece of reading, especially for you information neophytes. Lots of facts. No mythology or superstition. Even has most production numbers!

1g1yy
07-14-2004, 09:53 AM
No one accused you of modifying the definition -- popular usage has modified it!

slothboy
07-14-2004, 11:44 PM
like i said on a previous diss. i may own a pontiac but im a chevy girl all the way. THE WORD MUSCLE CAR WAS GIVEN TO A GENERATION OF CERTAIN CARS THAT HAD SIMULARITIES.THEY'RE IN A CLASS OF THERE OWN. THE WORD MUSCLE CAR PUTS A PERTICULAR IMAGE IN YOUR HEAD.WHEN SOME SAYS MUSCLE CAR WHATS THE 1ST IMAGE YOU SEE A 67 CAMARO OR A 00 MUSTANG? WOULD YOU CALL A YOUNG ADULT, FROM THE "X" GENERATION,WHO WEARS BELL BOTTOMS & FLOWERS A CURRENT BABYBOOMER? THE NEW CARS ARE NOT CLASSIFIED AS MUSCLE BUT SPORTY.

strongboy2005
07-26-2004, 12:37 AM
I agree with slothboy, muscle cars are not new cars. They are from a specific era, and though I may not agree with 100% of the standards of "muscle cars", this is one point I WILL agree with.

BleedDodge
07-26-2004, 02:38 AM
I don't care what you call them. I just drive the fuckin things.

fordesigner
07-29-2004, 01:21 PM
OK, so a Boss 429 Mustang and 500 KR Cobra are not muscle cars.... :eek7:

Just a sub-set.....

OK?!?!? :screwy:

'67'cuda
07-29-2004, 05:55 PM
in my opinion a muscle car more about the looks. they put straght 6s in novas and in some camaros, mopars and fords as well, but the body style TO ME says muscle. and a pony car is to me a muscle car you cant say the hemis, 440s, 427s, 428s, and 429s werent good muscle engines. and if the pony cars where smaller with big engines in them it = fast which is always good.

CivicSlayr
07-29-2004, 10:31 PM
Muscle car is defined by each person in a different way. IMO muscle car is any car made between 1965-1972, Also, it had to be offered with a v-8, and i prefer that it could be offerd with a big block. Imports arn't muscle cars, they are fads, give them time, they will die.

kman10587
08-01-2004, 06:55 PM
I don't care what you call them. I just drive the fuckin things.

Let's have a BIG round of applause.

RedLightning
08-06-2004, 10:22 PM
1. Firebird
2. GTO
3. Mustang
4. Camaro

the order of my favorite "new" muscle cars.(im pontiac guy.)

Add your comment to this topic!