Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Compass is reading backwards??

lumpylewis
06-25-2004, 11:44 PM
I just bought a used 2000 Windstar which has a compass in the dash(SEL). I don't have an owners manual but I borrowed my sister's 2003 manual which said my zone was 4 and that I had to circle the car a few times to set it. After setting the calibration it reads completely opposite of what it should be. When I'm pointing north it reads south ie.
Does anyone have any ideas???? I live in Southern British Columbia, Canada. Maybe I have the wrong zone?? Help please!

sahib
06-26-2004, 06:15 AM
I don't have the factory compass in mine, but I did install a Gentex compass/temperature/auto dimming mirror combination. I wouldn't doubt that this is the company providing the factory compass for Ford, could be wrong though. Anyway, mine puts most of B.C in zone 3 with just the southeastern corner being in zone 4. I don't think a zone or two off would invert you 180 degrees though. It does say to drive the vehicle in at least 3 slooooow circles, allowing at least 45 seconds to complete. It also says it will auto adjust on it's own if you're not in any hurry. Hope this doesn't screw you up.

95ragtop
09-02-2004, 02:27 PM
The mirror in your van is probably made by Gentex (auto-dimming), but the compass modual that is connected to the mirror base for an "in dash" compass is made by Magna Donnelly. All Gentex compasses are built into the mirror. Also, you can be off by a zone without effecting the compass. Sound like a compass software issue.

Add your comment to this topic!