Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Weird Sound coming from 2000 Mustang GT

miriv365
06-25-2004, 10:55 PM
I have a 2000 Ford Mustang GT with 52,000 miles on it. Recently, I have noticed that when I turn the wheel to the right I get a hissing sound that sounds for a second or two. It is not the sound you get when the whell is turned all the way to either side, but rather a sharp hissing type noise. This only occurs when turning right, not when turning my wheel to the left.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing that?

brentmcq
06-26-2004, 08:15 AM
I also have a 2000 GT with 52,000 miles. No hissing sound from mine... Is your steering fluid levels okay?

miriv365
06-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Normally I would think it would be the steering fluid. However, I did check the power steering fluid levels and they seemed ok. Also, the sound only comes when steering to the right. Also, I have noticed that when going over a speed bump, I can hear a squeak coming from the right front side, and now I am wondering if the 2 things could be related. Could this be caused by something like a blown shock or messed up strut?

351wStang
06-26-2004, 09:45 PM
Check your inner fender for ware. You may have a coil spring rubbing or something. The hissing sound may be the sound of air coming out of a shock if you have busted one, which could cause odd movements of your coil spring and end up making it bend out of shape and rub.

KimberlyGT
06-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Fords are famous for their power steering units going out. I would first check the fluid levels and then check your power steering unit. Also... avoid sharp turns (ex: driveway maneauvering).... I have a 2000 Mustang GT. I have to make several moves just to get turned around in my driveway b/c I don't want to put wear on my power steering unit.

I'm waiting on some replies on my thread a/b my engine noise.
Check it out and let me know if you have any of the same problems...

brentmcq
06-27-2004, 11:24 PM
I think it's suspension related since going over speed bumps causes the issue. Try rocking your car to see if you get excess travel, noise, or bounce. I bet it's a blown strut.

Add your comment to this topic!