Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Dodge Ram Tranny Problem

LTJGWorth
06-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Here in the past 2 or 3 months, my truck's automatic transmission with 360 V8 has had problems shifting. I have to back out of my driveway if I leave the house and when I put the truck in reverse, it doesn't go into gear. If you rev the engine a few times, or hold the gas down, it suddenly and violently shifts into reverse and gives you a good jerk (like if you were driving a truck with a standard transmission and held the clutch down and stepped on the gas and then let off the clutch). Then, once on the road, I get the truck up to about 45 mph and the tranny doesn't want to shift out of second gear. If I floor the gas, it will shift out of second just before it red-lines. Or if I get it up to about 4000 rpms and suddenly let off the gas it shift out of second. Once I have driven the truck for a while it shifts in and out of gear perfectly. But if I park the truck long enough for the engine to cool down it shifts like shit again. I know its not the fluid or the filter because I just had that changed this week. Also, the transmission was rebuilt about a year and a half ago so I wouldn't think it was going out. Any suggestions?

BleedDodge
06-26-2004, 02:46 AM
Maybe someone put the wrong fluid in there. I hope it's ATF+3 and not something else. There must be something else wrong with it...

DemonDan
06-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Well i have been having this same problem. i found that you must have water on your tranny because i had mine flushed out and the converter also. replaced with new fluid and it works fine.

LTJGWorth
06-27-2004, 03:19 PM
I thought it might be water too. But they flushed and changed the fluid as well as the filter at the shop and it still does the same thing. I don't know about the torque converter.

DemonDan
06-27-2004, 03:24 PM
i flushed my tranny and it still slipped like youre talking about. but i finaly replaced the oil in the converter and it automaticly started working better.

BleedDodge
06-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Bands out of adjustment maybe?

LTJGWorth
06-27-2004, 03:45 PM
I never thought about that. But would that really cause it to do that, because once i've been driving it and it kicks out of second gear it runs like a dream

Add your comment to this topic!