Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

California SMOG Law Vote. URGENT!

dave menche
06-24-2004, 07:34 PM
The California Senate Transportation Committee is set to vote this Tuesday on bill AB2683. This bill will repeal the rolling thirty year smog test exemtption for classic cars. If this bill passes, all cars from 1976 on will be required to pass smog, no matter how old they become.

Even if your classic car is older than what this law directly effects, please think of the overall community of classic car owners. Also think ahead say 20 years from now in 2024 when you or your kids want a classic car from say 1978, yet are still required to get the car smogged, even though it would be 46 years old by then. That would be outragous.

Points to tell the Senators:

1... Classic cars have a minimal impact on Californias smog, as they often are well tuned, and not smoking, they also are few in number, and not driven very much.

2... This bill will also hurt the aftermarket industry, as owners sell off these cars from scrap, or out of state, thus reducing tax revenues to the state generated by the aftermarket.

3... The classic cars are taking a bad rap for failed EPA smog goals in some areas, yet they have minimal impact on the total smog produced

I urge every Californian to call the below Senators (there are twelve of them, voting this Tuesday in the Transportation Committee) If they defeat the bill in commette them it dies there.

You can also email them, the email address for the Senators is the same except for the Senators name:

example Senator Dean Florez has email " senator.florez@sen.ca.gov "

The tweleve senators you all need to contact are:

Kevin Murray (Chair) 916 455-8800

Tom Mc Clintock (Vice Chair) 916 455-8873

Roy Ashborn 916 455-5405

James Brulte 916 455-3688

Liz Figueroa 916 455-6671

Dean Florez 916 455-4641

Betty Karnette 916 455-6447

Bill Morrow 916 455-3731

Don Perata 916 455-6577

Jack Scott 916 455-6868

Jackie Speire 916 455-0503

Tom Torlakson 916 455-6083

Please call or email, voicing your opposition to AB 2683, please give them the reasons you are opposed, such as listed above, that the bill will have minimal impact on smog, and hurt classic car owners.
This bill has already passed the Legislature, so this is about our last chance to stop it (short of a Govenor veto)

thank you

David Menche

Ratieya455
07-09-2004, 05:04 PM
California has gone way too far. I know the LS area has horrible pollution, but making a small number of old cars meet modern requirements is a horrid idea. They should at least set the year into the 80's, as very few cars from that era are worth keeping alive and they would likely have electronic emissions systems anyway. I'm just glad to be in Minnesota, which does not have any kind of smog checks or emissions barriers. Maybe the car capital or the world will leave LA if this crappy legislation goes through.

usmcsgtj
09-17-2004, 01:04 AM
California should just become their own country, all they do is make stupid laws and try to push their bad policies on the rest of us.....vote out your liberals and you solve your problems

MagicRat
09-19-2004, 11:21 AM
.....vote out your liberals and you solve your problems
Yeah, that Gov. Arnold is some commie-pinko bastard, isn't he? :iceslolan

There are lots of people in CA and elsewhere that don't understand the interest in old cars. They want them all off the road.

Still, how tough is the old car smog law going to be? If they just have to meet the laws in effect on the year of manufacture its not so bad. Still, the measure shoudl be fought.
Next, the old cars could be legislated off the road entirely.

4speedsupreme
09-19-2004, 08:16 PM
California should just become their own country, all they do is make stupid laws and try to push their bad policies on the rest of us.....vote out your liberals and you solve your problems
I agree. I can't believe someone else has the guts to say it. It seems like every time I mention anything about liberals or enviromental nut cases nobody wants to talk. These liberals are so out of control on every front it makes me sick. I wish every commie liberal #@$&^@! would move to califorinia and demand separation from the real God fearing USA. I am going to quit typing now. If I don't I will rant all night.

MagicRat
09-20-2004, 08:50 PM
I agree. I can't believe someone else has the guts to say it. It seems like every time I mention anything about liberals or enviromental nut cases nobody wants to talk. These liberals are so out of control on every front it makes me sick. I wish every commie liberal #@$&^@! would move to califorinia and demand separation from the real God fearing USA. I am going to quit typing now. If I don't I will rant all night.
Don't hold back now!! Tell us what you really think!! :biggrin:

Add your comment to this topic!