Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Lots of Quirks

Zoe9
06-24-2004, 01:55 PM
I just wanted to throw a few things out there if anyone has any suggestions. I just purchased a 91 Acclaim and the more I drive it the more things go wrong. My check engine light goes on (needs an oil change?), my air bag light comes on (hope this doesn't mean it's going to fly out at me while I'm driving down the road!), my blinkers start out fine but eventually stop blinking, the air (hot or cold) only blows out the "defrost" vents, my driver's side window doesn't come down (power windows), and the driver's side door cannot be unlocked with a key from the outside (the key just turns in the lock, it doesn't engage in any mechanism), and my radio sporatically dies. I know that's a lot of little problems, but if anyone has any ideas on any of them I would appreciate it! I know nothing about cars and was hoping this one could help me learn. Yes! I am ambitious!
Thanks!

PAman
07-18-2004, 07:30 AM
Start with purchasing a maintenence manual such as Haynes(recommended) or Chilton (OK). You'll have to start by pulling the driver's door trim off. The check engine light probably indicates something else has gone bad...as long as the engine runs with it on...it's usually something simple and certainly not the death of your engine. My 89 only blows thru the defroster and foot outlets...haven't figured it out yet. Will let you know if I do. The window, blinkers and radio may just be a ground issue...find and tighten a screw, etc. Air bags are "dicey" to work on, but they're designed NOT to inflate without reason(such as a crash), and the light may indicate the problem with the system that will not allow it to protect you as it should. These cars can be pretty reliable, but typically you're always fixing little things like this! Get a manual...and check here regularly.

Zoe9
07-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Thanks PAman. Since I was last out here, I've had to replace my alternator and my battery. That solved the majority of the problems. I haven't attempted to fix my window yet, but I did purchase a maintanence manual. I also haven't tried to figure out why the air only blows out of the defrost vents. I might have to get on that one though, cuz it drives me nuts! I've been so busy replacing alternator belts... long story... that I haven't had time to mess with anything else. And BTW... I finally figured out why my alternator belts kept breaking. I just had a bolt that needed to be tightened. Who would have guessed it'd be that easy? But thank you for your input and help. I appreciate all of it. :smile:

yogi_123rd
08-27-2004, 06:12 PM
The vents valves in the ac/heater probably work on vacuum like every other heater out there. There will be a vacuum line from the ac/heater to the firewall someplace. Look under the hood for a vacuum hose that should go to someplace on the firewall. It will be either disconnected or has cracked off.

Add your comment to this topic!