Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

question

Chevyracincamaro
06-24-2004, 09:00 AM
i know you guys get asked this question a ton, but i gotta do it. im looking into an 89 f-150 4X4 and was wondering if there were any problems with the model year. its got a new I6 with the original 5sp man, and the engine and clutch are only about a year old. the guy wants 3K for it, but i was just wondering if there was anything i should look out for. you blue oval boys wanna give me some insight? thanx a bunch...

landyacht
06-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Something that old is a little far back for me...i'd suggest buying a lemon aide guide just to see what the most common problems (if any) there were with that year truck.

Most of what the book will say is typical of everything, but major things like head-gaskets for example. If those are a problem, it's a good idea to find out if they've been done or not.

That's all i've got...someone else??

ModMech
06-25-2004, 09:28 AM
3K is HIGH for any truck 4x4 or not, that's 15 years old. You can get a mid '90s for that price.

Aside from that, my question is why would it have needed both a new enigne and transmission?????? Sure, the trans has issues with the input bearing, so that's explainable, but the 300 I-6 is about the most durable/industructable truck enigne on the planet. Usually only severe overheating or driving with no oil will kill them, both are signs of neglect to the extreme.

As with all 4x4 trucks, the front ball joints are something to keep an eye on, as are the knucke u-joints. Other than those things, there is nothing out of the ordinary that you would expect.

Chevyracincamaro
06-25-2004, 11:16 AM
sorry i worded that wrong, it only has a new engine, the trans is original. i know the guy used the truck for basic hauling so im sure the truck has some work miles, it surely wasnt babied. as for the price i would assume that cause it has the newer engine and the guy is throwing in the tool box in the bed that he feels he can ask for that much. thanks for the info people, really appreciate it...

formulaross
06-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Assuming the 5sp manual is the Mazda 5 speed, the tranny is a dog, IMO. Just ask about it at a good tranny shop. They'll give you an earful. How many miles on it? At 185K, my F150 started eating clutch shifter forks every 5K miles. It was a combination of worn engine thrust bearings (4.9L 6 cyl.), worn plastic clutch bushings under the dash and the flywheel resurfacing. I caught it each time my forks wore out, but some people find out after their tranny catches two gears at once and sheds all the gear teeth. It was a blessing when my F150 when to the bone yard.

FreddieJB86
07-05-2004, 12:59 AM
what year was your f150 formulaross? the 87 that I just bought doesn't like to shist smoothly, as in you have to kinds "slam" the shifter inot gear, but the only time I have the problem is when my girlfriend is with me, but I try to shift easyier so I edon't elbow her :).

FreddieJB86
07-05-2004, 01:01 AM
I only paid 842 including indiana's 6% sales tax for my 87 at a used car lot so I think 3k is high unless that turck is in awesome condition as in no body damage, etc...

formulaross
07-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Freddie, my F150 was a '92. Before I got my (used) F150, I borrowed a friends F150 with the 5 speed Mazda tranny, and it was very hard to shift, very imprecise, as you describe. His tranny ended up shedding the gear teeth on his way home from work one day. He was making the 2-3 shift, and the worn 1-2 shift fork left his tranny in 2nd gear when he went for 3rd. The ranny locked up, shed the teeth, and spun the truck around. Repair costs were more than the truck was worth so he sent it to the bone yard.

Add your comment to this topic!