Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Vibration at 49-55mph 92 yota

Kyle4130
06-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Hey whats up. I really need some help. Ive taken my truck in twice to get my front tires(35 BFG muds) balanced and i still have a vibration between 49-55mph or so. sometimes it does it till 60. I have no idea what it is. its a 92 pick up extend cab 4wd. i have a picture of it on this site. Im going camping leaving maybe on saturday, but deffinetally sunday-monday. I really would like to get this problem fixed by then. If anyone knows what it could be could you please help me out! I dont want to take it into a shop and have it looked over and be charged a shitload of money for just looking. Thanks for you help.
-Kyle

natenelsen
06-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Big tires! Okay, How much weight are on right now, is it like 4 oz or more? Have the wheels, and tires "match mounted" and be sure to check both the tire and wheel for an out of round condition. Be sure to take a wire brush to the mating surface of your rotors and wheel before bolting your tires up. Is your idler arm worn? Be sure to "shake down" the front end as well.

Hope this helps, Let us know what you find,

Nate

CougKid3030
07-02-2004, 03:22 AM
Plus, realize you are rotating inch plus lugs in some cases with mud tires, and at slow speeds they clunk along, and at high speeds they glide, but in the middle level they will jump around a bit.

Like hitting a speed bump... at 10 mph its nice and easy, at 65 it may as well not have been there, but at 40 you'll feel it most of all.

Also with the match mounting, its like sand tires on a Four Wheeler, make sure your mud lugs are synchronized, which may eliminate some of the vibration... probably not all of it though. You can usually fix the problem with AT tires as well.

Acme54321
07-17-2004, 12:02 AM
I find that when my tires (Dueller M/T's) are cold they rumble a little at like 45-55 but after they heat up they smooth out.

ketco5
07-17-2004, 03:58 PM
I had problem as well and it was a broken U-Joint.

modification_inc
07-28-2004, 09:31 PM
What size lift do you have?

Kyle4130
07-29-2004, 03:40 AM
What size lift do you have?

i have a 2" body lift with 4" trailmaster suspension. i dont know how that would effect anything but let me know what your thinking?
Thanks, Kyle

Shredhead
07-29-2004, 09:30 PM
I find that when my tires (Dueller M/T's) are cold they rumble a little at like 45-55 but after they heat up they smooth out.

That's usualy a sign of having water in Your tire's I used to see it all the time working at discount tire especialy with the bigger tire's You get the moisture from service stations, ever see the vaper blow out of an air nozzle? Your tires water heat's up to steam, sound's far fetched but it's something you can check out.
It's a real trick to balance a big tire, the machines at the average tire store have a seriously hard time working with them, My old boss instructed us not to try any harder than under 2 ounces off because of wear and tear on our machine. If You still can't get them ballanced after a few tries consider a bubble ballancer.

Kyle4130
07-30-2004, 03:26 AM
Im actually having second thoughts on this being my front end. The vibration seemed to be coming from there but its most likely getting worse because of me driving it more. its only on the highway and i try to stay off of it but now theres a lot of vibration coming from right underneath me. im thinking its my transmition or transfer case. the other day i noticed that my second stick for 4wd was really hot, almost like it can burn you to the touch. this problem really sucks and im going to try and take my truck somewhere within this next week. i am just broke right now and cant afford a damn thing. thanks for everyones help. feel free to reply with more thoughts.
-Kyle

That's usualy a sign of having water in Your tire's I used to see it all the time working at discount tire especialy with the bigger tire's You get the moisture from service stations, ever see the vaper blow out of an air nozzle? Your tires water heat's up to steam, sound's far fetched but it's something you can check out.
It's a real trick to balance a big tire, the machines at the average tire store have a seriously hard time working with them, My old boss instructed us not to try any harder than under 2 ounces off because of wear and tear on our machine. If You still can't get them ballanced after a few tries consider a bubble ballancer.

xtoyotacorex
09-18-2004, 12:02 AM
Im actually having second thoughts on this being my front end. The vibration seemed to be coming from there but its most likely getting worse because of me driving it more. its only on the highway and i try to stay off of it but now theres a lot of vibration coming from right underneath me. im thinking its my transmition or transfer case. the other day i noticed that my second stick for 4wd was really hot, almost like it can burn you to the touch. this problem really sucks and im going to try and take my truck somewhere within this next week. i am just broke right now and cant afford a damn thing. thanks for everyones help. feel free to reply with more thoughts.
-Kyle
Try lifting your back end and spinning your tires by hand, if you hear the sound of bad bearings, replace the rear wheel bearings. good luck!

Kyle4130
09-18-2004, 03:20 PM
I actually found out what it was about a month ago or so. The pinion bolt wasnt torqed down enough and the yoke was a little loose. it would raddle up aggainst the 3rd member. Im so glad i finally know what the problem is so if it happens again I can check that out right away. I also let my friends know to for future reference and guys that actually are having the problem.

Add your comment to this topic!