Fuel Gage and Console issues on 2000 Jimmy

jimmyowner
06-23-2004, 01:24 PM
I have a 2000 Jimmy SLT that is having some issues:

1. This week, the fuel gage now does not go below 1/2 tank (last week it would go to empty and as soon as the fuel light came on would move back to 1/2 tank mark)

2. I have the overhead console that indicates the range and fuel used. The range is wrong (indicating I have at least a 1/2 tank when I know I have used more) and the fuel used is wrong and indicating the I have used more (or sometimes less) gas than what the tank will allow me to refill.

I have read thru many messages on this board and see several mentions of the sending gauge. Would that still be the probable cause even with the console out of whack?

As a side note, does anyone know off hand what size the gas tank is? When everything seemed to be working right, my fuel light came on around 15 gallons and I would have a range of approx 50 miles. I always assumed the tank was around 18 gallons...

Thanks for your assistance!

BadPanda
07-10-2004, 11:47 AM
I have had a similar problem with the fuel gauge for several months now. Have you had any response from anyone on a fix?

For now, I just have to watch my milage and refill when I think I am close to empty.

-BadPanda

CADMANJAXX
07-11-2004, 01:54 PM
:banghead:
MY PROBLEM STARTED WHEN LOW FUEL LIGHT CAME ON. I FILLED UP, THEN PROBLEMS STARTED. READS FULL BUT AFTER 200+ MILES, READS 1/2 THEN FLOATS BACK A FORTH TO FULL.

BadPanda
07-13-2004, 05:10 PM
FYI: Edmunds.com lists the fuel tank as 19gal. I think the owners manual say 18. Go with the lower and don't be surprised.

srmayer@yahoo.com
08-14-2004, 07:58 AM
When my wife bought hers used, that was happeneing also. Luckily the dealership agreed to pay for it, before they knew what was wrong. It was the liner to the tank had an issue. I guess it is also what has the sensors in it or something. anyways the part was pritty expenceive if I remember, and you have to drop the tank to repair it.

Add your comment to this topic!