Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

headlights-taken out

kittedb18bt
06-22-2004, 09:08 PM
i would like to take my headlights out on my 99 cobra. this is because they are all fogged up and gross looking. i have purchased the necessary materials to completely restore them, thanks to the technical reference thread.

do i have to take off the bumper to remove the headlights if anyone knows? if i do remove the headlights, what kind of sealer should i use (if any) to insure that the headlights stay in place and that water will not leak anywhere.

thanks for the help.

StangNut86
06-22-2004, 10:28 PM
umm the headlight assemblies should jsut come out with a few nuts that hold them in, after you disconnect the wires. after that it's a relatively simple matter of drying out the insides, restoring the outsides, and replacing the bulb o-rings to prevent water entering the lights again.

GTStang
06-23-2004, 12:47 AM
Actually there a just to for lack of a better description "black slides" behind the lights that hold them in. Two on each light then just disconnect the lights it takes 10 seconds nice design.

kittedb18bt
06-23-2004, 08:18 AM
Actually there a just to for lack of a better description "black slides" behind the lights that hold them in. Two on each light then just disconnect the lights it takes 10 seconds nice design.

thanks! i just looked at it, it looks so easy. what about sealer?

HiFlow5 0
06-23-2004, 09:25 PM
Regular silicone or RTV would work good.

kittedb18bt
06-24-2004, 08:47 AM
thanks, i will try.

b3warnick
06-24-2004, 01:44 PM
Yeah..I will be curious to see how they turn out. I had no luck trying to clean up my 99 GT headlihghts. Tried sanding, metal polish, plastic polish and even the acetone trick...no luck. The Mother's metal polish works great on my 87's headlights, but they seem to be made out of a different kind of plastic then the 99. I finally just covered 'em up with carbon fiber covers. Still thinking about replacing them completely.
Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!