Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

1991 F-150 Starter Keeps Spinning after truck starts. I need help bad.

Badredtruck
06-21-2004, 08:26 PM
I have a 1991 Ford F-150, 302 (5.0) engine bored 30 over, E4OD Trans (beefed up), Autostarting system w/ alarm, headers, intake, exhaust, TB spacer, and other stuff not dealing with engine or ignition. For about a year, every now and then, out of the blue, when I start the engine by key or auto-start, the engine will crank on and start but the starter will stay engaged as if I'm still holding the key on. I can take the key out, turn it back, and the truck will shut off but the starter stays engaged. If I turn the key into the on position while the starter spins, it starts again. The starter stops spinning spontaneously when it wants to. This last time, it wouldn't stop for about 7 minutes, meanwhile I'm turn the key off and on, reverseing and driving the truck, banging on the steering column, until I run and get a wrench and disconnect the battery. THe next morning I reconnect the battery and it continues spinning right where it left off. My father suggests that the flywheel is warped or a tooth is missing, I inspected from the flywheel/driveplate access cover and saw no broken teeth. He also suggests that I have a malfuctioning Viper Autostarting system, but I don't really want to believe that (I guess because it was so expensive. Other problems: I rolled my torque converter last year, and the tranny had to be dropped, since then it has needed a neutral safety switch adjustment and sometimes I have to put it in neutral to start it because nothing will happen when trying in park. My father keeps telling me to sell it because of this starting problem but I refuse. I've been through 4 starters, 3 alternators, 3 ignition switches, 3 batteries, 5 starter solenoids, 2 ground cables, 3 positive cables. I don't know what to do, my next idea is to buy a new flywheel. Its a very stressing problem and any ANY! ideas or suggestions would help.

97chevyman
06-27-2004, 06:45 PM
sounds like a problem in the remote starter system or a bad wiring setup.

pind
06-27-2004, 08:04 PM
I would go with the remote start as well, sounds a little goofy to me. Or, somewhere, there is a stray strand of wire, possibly on the starter solenoid, causing it to intermittently stay engaged. Long shot, but then again, what have you to lose but some time

all4rd
09-15-2004, 09:30 AM
Make sure your ground wire is not corroded (internal) and has a good body ground. This could cause high resistance and draw more power to the selnoid causing it to stick. I have not had this problem with my truck but have with a motorcycle and it drove me nuts until I found the ground wire had corroded internally and would make the selnoid internal contacts stick.

the_dro
09-15-2004, 10:57 PM
My starter on my truck went out monday, or some component of the starter...so far i've replaced the starter, but the truck still doesn't start up at all...all the start does is clunk twice...still with the new one...turn key over, clunk, let off key, clunk...

tgillcoke
11-02-2004, 08:36 PM
My starter on my truck went out monday, or some component of the starter...so far i've replaced the starter, but the truck still doesn't start up at all...all the start does is clunk twice...still with the new one...turn key over, clunk, let off key, clunk...

Run a ground wire from your battery terminal to the Starter solenoid mount screw. You have body groud problem. This will takle care of it.

stang_racer20
12-03-2004, 06:43 PM
sounds like crossed relay wires to me. Thats exactly what happens.

ponchonutty
12-03-2004, 10:36 PM
If it's properly installed, there is no way the remote starter would do this. It might when remote started but there's no way it would affect it when starting with the key. Ford ignition systems suck big time!

bacchus_gc
10-29-2009, 09:46 PM
Hi .... i have a 2000 f150 4.2l engine ..... i replaced 3 starters
.... 1st time the starter works for 1 time only ..its starts the engine (rebuilt one) when i tried for second time was completed dead ... change for 2nd starter .... engine cranks and starts and i heard a noise then a noise like the starter keeps engaged and something broke and the noise goes away ... i shut off the engine and again the same problem ( starter dead) ... this happened with a 3rd starter (this one new) ....... starter solenoid clicks when turning the key to the end..... ground wire??? defective solenoid ( i already replaced)??????... SOME IDEAS PLEASE.. :banghead:

mechhound
10-29-2009, 11:36 PM
When you say you already replaced the solenoid, I assume you mean the round thing on top of the starter? Yes that is the solenoid. There is also a relay mounted on the firewall that could stick and cause the starter to keep spinning, or cause other problems. I suppose the ignition switch could stick and cause the starter to keep spinning after the key is released. I have no hands on with anything this new but I have a Haynes manual 1997-2003. Anyone who understands how this system works should be able to easily diagnose your problem. Sorry to say that leaves out a lot of mechanics.

bacchus_gc
10-30-2009, 10:28 AM
When you say you already replaced the solenoid, I assume you mean the round thing on top of the starter? Yes that is the solenoid. There is also a relay mounted on the firewall that could stick and cause the starter to keep spinning, or cause other problems. I suppose the ignition switch could stick and cause the starter to keep spinning after the key is released. I have no hands on with anything this new but I have a Haynes manual 1997-2003. Anyone who understands how this system works should be able to easily diagnose your problem. Sorry to say that leaves out a lot of mechanics.

well ... i dont know what you mean ..... piece that i replaced is one on top of the firewall .... other one is atacched to the starter ,comes with the starter and i already replaced the starter 3 times.. so i replaced that one also 3 times i will change the starter again today and all the wiring that goes to the starter ... i hope that it works cause auto parts doesnt want exchange one starter more.
thanx

brokesilverado
10-31-2009, 12:00 AM
sounds like you have a ground issue i have seen this before and it was the ground for the fender mounted solenoid if the screws that hold it to the fender are corroded it will do that mine did and if the is a bad ground 4 the starter it will do it before having the starter replace you cant test it at auto zone or advance auto parts to see if the Bendix gear is sticking out also check to make sure that there is sufficent clearence between the starter bendix grear and the flex plate

Add your comment to this topic!