Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cell Phone Intercom

cvoss2000
06-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Anyone heard of an attachment that allows your cell phone to be used over your cars stereo system?

Thanks, Cory in Newport News VA

Vroom2
06-21-2004, 03:28 PM
There are a number of hands-free systems out there that utilize an otherwise-unused FM channel to broadcast the audio. Most of these also contain an omni-directional microphone to push through your side of the conversation. Connection is via the 12v cigarette lighter port.

My father in law has one of these. It's the only one I've experienced first-hand, so this is a generalization, but I think there's a reason these things are so cheap...you get what you pay for.

Onstar's cell service uses the factory stereo and mic for the same purpose, and I understand performance is quite good. Obviously this means not using your cell phone, but rather the one already wired in your truck.

I've found that the best kits are the ones made by the cell phone manufacturers. The next generation of cell phone and hands free kits are coming to market - using bluetooth technology. This means there will be no wires to manage, during installation or use.

Take care,
Jerry

Cherryknocker
01-13-2006, 04:47 AM
I know this thread is a little old - but Soundgate have a product called GMCELL, this will do the trick, it will mute the Audio when you have an incoming or outgoing call and divert the audio feed to the front door speakers......

Cool.

CN

YukonGMC
01-13-2006, 08:42 AM
If Verizon is your cell carrier you can hook it in with OnStar. That is " IF " your OnStar system is 2002+ and you're an OnStar subscriber.

Or

Tellphone + Bluetooth Phone (http://www.tellphone.com/)

Add your comment to this topic!