Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Buick Regal - Add HP and Mileage

InsaneShow
06-21-2004, 12:04 AM
Hey,

I just got a 1999 Buick Regal, and I must say that I love the 3.8L v6 under the hood, I was just wondering what some of you out there have been doing to beef it up a little, I am mainly looking at adding HP and Gas Mileage. Any help would be great

Thanks

Robert Wardski
06-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Hi,
I own a 1992 Regal w/3.8 V6 and a 1999 Century w/3.1 V6. I have increased my MPG and HP by adding two simple items on both vehicles. First a K&N air filter and a Tornado which goes in the air intake hose from the air filter. The air filter can be purchased more cheaply from AJUSA.com and the tornado from E-bay.com. I increased my MPG by 2-3 MPG and there is a noticeable improvement in engine performance. The key to getting the benefit when installing these items is that once installed, disconnect the negetive battery terminal overnight so that the computer in the vehicle can re-learn the air/fuel mixture. Has worked for me. Of course you may have to reset your radio settings and clock after reconnecting the battery.

Ruley73
06-21-2004, 11:45 PM
The K&N air filter is definitely an accessory that is worth while. I've yet to hear of anybody that did not get positive results from just a drop-in K&N filter. I can't say the same about the Tornado. I've heard mixed testimonials about this product. I myself believe that Tornado is pointless for many vehicles. Its purpose is to produce air turbulance which increases air flow. The problem is that most fuel injected vehicles have a screen that "straightens" the air right before the MAF sensor to prevent false readings caused by turbulance. Furthermore, on many vehicles (such as my '95 Regal Coupe GS w/3800) the MAF sensor is mounted into the throttlebody so the Tornado can't be mounted between the throttlebody and the MAF sensor. You can't remove the screen. The engine will run poorly if you do because of the inaccurate MAF readings

Hypsi87
06-22-2004, 08:30 AM
as far a god gas mileage, just make sure everything is up to par as far a maintence. Good plugs,wires,ect. just keep it maintained. As far a HP gains, Im not too sure about getting any noticable differences out of the NA engine.

Add your comment to this topic!