Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

No oil in 911 (966)

odieone
06-20-2004, 02:23 PM
I got my 99 911 966 back from a very reputable Porsche mechanic on Thursday after having the 60k service done which included a oil change. I drove the car a couple of times and noticed the temp guage rising higher than usual. I tried to call the mechanic but being Sunday I could not reach him.

I check the oil and found that the dip stick shows no oil, same for the digital check. Is it possible that they forgot to add oil after drainning the engine? I could find no evidence of oil in my driveway. I did find what seem to be oil in my coolant expasion tank.

What should I do? Should I tow the car to another mechanic document the condition of the vehicle.

I think I would have noticed losing 10 quarts of oil.

Any advise would be appreciated.

terryinatlanta
06-23-2004, 02:27 PM
I think I would:
1. Call the shop and see what they say
2. Add a quart at a time until it registers on the dipstick. It is possible that they did not want to overfill. I don't believe you could have gone more than a mile if you didn't have ANY oil.

timberdoodle
07-20-2004, 11:50 AM
it is possible to drive around on low oil, but at a certain point you would here you engine rapping horribly and no matter how loud your stereo :) you would hear it. No way you could have driven all over if there were no oil, so they just probably didnt completely fill it, or it is seeping out somehow. Definitely stop driving it and call the mechanic.

Add your comment to this topic!