Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Retard timing to boost ratio?

CivicSpoon
06-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Ok I feel bad for asking this because I know I've seen it somewhere on here before in a thread; but I've been searching for the past hour around the board and haven't been able to find it again. Yes before you even ask I do feel like a jackass.
Against what the majority of people say, my friend has decided to use an fmu (vortech or greddy) and a boost retarder in place of his AEM EMS. But he doesn't know exaclty how much to retard so he doesn't blow his motor up. He has an H22a and is going to be running 14-16psi of boost with I believe 9.3:1 compression (i could be wrong about the compression though i will try to find out for sure if it's important.) But what I was looking for is the ratio for the retarding; how many degrees of retard per how many psi (or bar) of boost? I thought it was somewhere around 1° per 10psi but I don't think that's exactly on. Any help is greatly appreciated. Please have pity for the ignorant.

civickiller
06-20-2004, 06:49 PM
a conservative number is .75 degrees per pound of boost

so i dont konw full timing on a h22a, but on a b series its 30 so if they are the same on an h series he should be running around 18 degrees of timing.

then on the dyno and keep adding timing till you start to lose power then pull a few degrees and then your set

CivicSpoon
06-20-2004, 07:39 PM
wow i was way off with the 1:10psi thing then. Thanks for the help i appreciate it.

YellowITR479
06-21-2004, 06:15 AM
damn..i think im off then....I switched back to OBD-2 and hooked up the scan tool and I am idleing at about 25 and the car goes down to about 19-20 under boost.

civickiller
06-21-2004, 11:59 PM
how much boost you runnin at 19-20 degrees

what are you using for engine management ? obd1 is the best

99IntegraGSR
06-23-2004, 02:14 PM
I would switch it back to obd1 and use uberdata. It has built in features that allows you to set the amount of timing retard per pound of boost and a bunch of other goodies. It will give you the best management for minimal costs.

civickiller
06-24-2004, 01:30 AM
yup exactly what he said, uberdata, its really cheap and just as good as hondata.

plus real easy to make base map

Add your comment to this topic!