Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1993 Buick Century Altenator?

debnbas
06-20-2004, 01:53 PM
I just purchased a 1993 Buick Century last Thursday and I went out to start it last night and it was as dead as a doornail, got a jump let it run a bit then put in in gear to drive and the lights dimmed and it died again, got another jump and let it run a bit longer this time, took it on the highway to get a better charge but the dash lights were very dim and the gas guage was eratic, I was afraid to turn anything else on but noticed a humming sound that asnt there before,, sounds like the altenator? My question, if that is what it is,, how do I replace it?,, Will I need a new battery? I intend to do this repair myself as they want too much for the labor at places that will even do the labor,, most places only sell the parts. Any help would be appreciated

GTP Dad
06-20-2004, 06:01 PM
First take it to a parts store like Autozone and have them test it for you. They will be able to determine whether it needs replaced or not. If it does it is as simple as removing the drive belt, removing a couple of bolts that hold the alternator in place and a couple of wires. Be sure to mark everything so you know where each part goes when you put it back on. The only problem you may have is if the new alternator does not come with a pulley and fan. This takes a special puller to change but you should be able to rent one. As far as the battery is concerned, have a good charge put on the battery using a battery charger, if the battery is still good it will hold a charge just fine. The battery is only for starting the car and maintaining the electrical system if the alternator is bad. The alternator actually does not recharge a battery it just maintains it. Hope this helps!

Add your comment to this topic!