Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

convert auto trans to manual imposibel?

jimmy[the]gent
06-20-2004, 02:58 AM
i have an 89 toyota tercel and am thinking of going to the boneyard and buying a maual transmision and a clutch pedal and hopefully make my car manual :/ o ya and buy the actual shifter n stuff

is this impossible has anyone ever don this before

how would the pedal installation go ...

how would i make it so i have to have the clutch down to start the car..

would the hole from my auto shifter(u no the thing that says [12dnrp] fit the size of the new manual shifter ....

i would proly have to take the engine out to put manual transmision in right?

joebowlr21
06-20-2004, 04:34 AM
Done a auto to manual swapp before.Not impossible, just very time comsuming.

Parts need:
manual tranny
shift linkage
Pedal Box(pedals)
clutch cable(if it's a non hydrolic clutch,if Hydrolic, then you will need clutch resevoir and all the lines from another manual trans)

Not sure, but i beleive the axles should be the same, go check at your local autozone and ask if the axles used for the auto are the same as a manual.

Also, when swapping the trans on, you can get it so when you place your gear in reverse the light turns on, u just have to follow the wires an re-do them.Also, i would rec. cementing or siliconing the automatic device found in the auto shifter.You will kno what i am talking about when you get there.It is the device that puts it into different gears.Make sure it's in Park, or else you won't beable to start the car or take your keys out.

jimmy[the]gent
06-21-2004, 07:45 PM
would i need special tools to do this .... like renting an engine lifter i no almost for a fact i dont need to take the engine out to get the auto transmision off all i need is a jack underneath engine but would i be able to put the manual transmision in without taking engine out??

how would puting the resivour and the actual pedal work??

wen u put a manual transmision in that car did u use a brand new transmision would it be easier with a new one

MagicRat
06-21-2004, 08:10 PM
This is a substantial and complicated project even for a professional mechanic. You are better to locate a manual trans Tercel and buy the whole car, for parts. You can then study how everything fits together and take your time to make sure you assemble it properly. A good service manual is essential.
However, since it is a 15 year old car, chances are you can sell it and buy a manual shift Tercel for much less time effort and hassle than swapping the trans.

Add your comment to this topic!