Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Pumping gas for '04 Denali XL

O2BIN808
06-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Every time I pump gas into my Denali, the pump usually stops before the tank is full. I contacted GMC and was told that the pressure builds in the tank and I need to let it settle, pull the pump out a little and then re-pump. This hasn't worked. The other day, it stopped at $45.00. Knowing the tank wasn't full, I had to pull the pump out, put my card back in and and sure enough, pumped another $20.00 into the tank. The dealer says it's not the car but the way the gas stations have their pumps set up. Has anyone else had this issue or is it just me?

Phil78250
06-20-2004, 02:57 AM
Every time I pump gas into my Denali, the pump usually stops before the tank is full. I contacted GMC and was told that the pressure builds in the tank and I need to let it settle, pull the pump out a little and then re-pump. This hasn't worked. The other day, it stopped at $45.00. Knowing the tank wasn't full, I had to pull the pump out, put my card back in and and sure enough, pumped another $20.00 into the tank. The dealer says it's not the car but the way the gas stations have their pumps set up. Has anyone else had this issue or is it just me?
Its the gas station. My gas station cuts off at $44. I have to restart the fueling process all over again.

jimmy[the]gent
06-20-2004, 03:06 AM
my moms 2000 tracker does that shit all the time stops at like 15 dolars then u have to let go and start pumping again and it keeps doin it..

pisses me off i dont think theres anything u can do about it

my 89 tercel never does that shit :]

denalio34ceo
06-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Quite a few gas stations, especially in Cali, have switched to the newer pumps that measures and memorizes tank pressure. There's nothing you can do except pay and pump again or look for a station that has yet to make the switch.

tonytone
06-21-2004, 12:14 PM
Like others have noted, it could be either one--I do know that the price cutoff is definitely a possibility; typically, the pumps cut off at $50 (varies, but that is the typical amount) when a CC is used. I have had this happen with two different trucks at more than a few gas stations.

But FWIW--yeah, on my '04 DXL, the pump seems to cut off a bit earlier than expected--i.e., I can typically pump another gallon or so after initial cut off...

O2BIN808
06-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. At least I know it's not just me.

Vroom2
06-21-2004, 03:20 PM
I've only encountered the pressure cutoff at one Chevron station, and it was a hardware problem - moved to another pump and all was well. Regarding the transaction cutoff, I've mentioned to the owners of a couple of 76 stations that it'd be nice to remove the $50 max on each transaction in light of current gas prices. Nothing's happened yet. :)

Take care,
Jerry

tonytone
06-22-2004, 11:51 AM
The following may not necessarily apply to O2BIN88's situation, but...on some of the older pumps which use the "condom" (the black rubber sleeve encapsulating most of the nozzle) as part of the vapor recovery process, you might be able to minimize the premature (i.e., shutoff not due to a full tank) pump shutoff by pulling the condom back a bit (a few inches should suffice); this may be necessitated if the VR system isn't working correctly.

Add your comment to this topic!