Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Left side VS Right Side

YogsVR4
05-15-2001, 12:13 PM
Ok - Let me preface this by saying I am left handed so I am naturally biased to the left side of most things. However, where do people think we should be driving? On the left or the right side. Also, let me be the first smart ass to say, "Drive on the right because thats the way the traffic is going." (or vise versa)

btw - Cars were invented in the USA so I think the world should change to be like us. :sun:

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

DVSNCYNIKL
05-15-2001, 12:15 PM
Your left or mine?:D j/k

enzo@af
05-15-2001, 12:45 PM
does left refer to the "american" way of doing it?

GTO-TT/Chev57
05-15-2001, 01:36 PM
We drive on the left Like England, Japan, Aussie. How many places are on the left and how many are on the right?

johnny
05-15-2001, 04:38 PM
Okay, I'm getting a friggin' headache just reading this... lol

Lizard King
05-15-2001, 04:40 PM
I think you listed all the places who drive on the right.

The reason we drive on the left is because soldiers on horseback would have their sword/weapon arm ready to defend themself on their open side.

Maybe you knew that...

Lizard King
05-15-2001, 04:41 PM
I'm talking in the old days of course.

Porsche
05-15-2001, 04:45 PM
I wonder when you posted that cause I almost said the same thing yesterday, May 14.

MBTN
05-15-2001, 07:07 PM
Cars were not invented in the USA.

YogsVR4
05-16-2001, 01:32 PM
Cars weren't invented in the US? Well lets just double check history....

Several Italians recorded designs for wind driven vehicles. The first was Guido da Vigevano in 1335. It was a windmill type drive to gears and thus to wheels. Vaturio designed a similar vehicle which was also never built. Later Leonardo da Vinci designed a clockwork driven tricycle with tiller steering and a differential mechanism between the rear wheels.

- Hmmmm..... Lets take a look at more history.

A Catholic priest named Father Ferdinand Verbiest has been said to have built a steam powered vehicle for the Chinese Emperor Chien Lung in about 1678. There is no information about the vehicle, only the event. Since James Watt didn't invent the steam engine until 1705 we can guess that this was possibly a model vehicle powered by a mechanism like Hero's steam engine, a spinning wheel with jets on the periphery.

- Getting closer to a car.....

The first vehicle to move under its own power for which there is a record was designed by Nicholas Joseph Cugnot and constructed by M. Brezin in 1769. A replica of this vehicle is on display at the Conservatoire des Arts et Metiers, in Paris.

Closer still, but it weighed 8000 pounds and went 2 miles an hour (YES - 2)....

A Frenchman named Etienne Lenoir patented the first practical gas engine in Paris in 1860 and drove a car based on the design from Paris to Joinville in 1862. His one-half horse power engine had a bore of 5 inches and a 24 inch stroke. It was big and heavy and turned 100 rpm.

Now we have an engine in something that resembles a car...

Running by February, 1893 and ready for road trials by September, 1893 the car built by Charles and Frank Duryea, brothers, was the first gasoline powered car in America.

So MBTN is right - the first car was not built in America. It appears to be 1335. I wonder what side of the road they drove on back then? So the question should be - who first picked a side of the road people should drive on. I'll go with the US again. ;)

Never pay again for live sex! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=1) | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=3) | Chat for free! (http://showmewebcam.com/?p=5)

Lizard King
05-16-2001, 01:35 PM
People usually credit Mercedes Benz with making the first car, I'm suprised you didn't mention that.

Ford made the first cars as we know them.

DVSNCYNIKL
05-16-2001, 01:38 PM
How did this go from choosing which side is best?:confused:

Look, doesn't really matter who made the car first. I choose the american way. Just don't know if I can do the shifting with my weak ass left hand. But I wouldn't mind trying! Anyone wanna let me try on their right side driver car?:D

Porsche
05-16-2001, 02:57 PM
Ya, you forgot to mention Carl Benz in 1886. He invented the car because he actually sold his creation to others as did Henry Ford in 1904. Henry's first car was the Quadricycle and I don't think that he sold those.

YogsVR4
05-19-2001, 07:01 PM
Hmmmm.....

Without properly quantifying what constitutes a car. Coal/Gas powered, speed, ride quality, resale value etc. it'll be hard to pick who should get the credit. For the topic at hand, I'll go with mass production where driving on the road would become hazzardous without some basic laws. (head on collisions in a model-t would be painful - no airbags;) ) And I am pretty sure thats right here in the USofA

Jay!
08-14-2001, 09:54 PM
If we (Americans) drove on the other side of the road, we could have had all the Skylines we want all along. :( Probably some TVRs, too.

YogsVR4
08-14-2001, 10:02 PM
We might get a few more cars over here that would be nice, but I dont think they make a right sided Viper or Corvette. (I could be wrong) and I'd hate to miss out on those babies.

Steel
08-14-2001, 10:42 PM
Which reminds me....it sounds like a dumb wuestion, but are UK motorcycles controls reverse from american ones? i.e. the shifter and clutch on the right side wiith both brakes on the left? it sounds dumb, but my ex g/f's dad had a triumph, and im pretty sure its controls were....backwards :D

gang$tarr
08-22-2001, 07:06 PM
I think our side the right side of the road is the RIGHT side to drive on, hehehe. Since most of the world drives on the right side it only makes sense that the U.K., Japan and Australia change

YogsVR4
08-22-2001, 10:53 PM
We definately have more cars over here.

Lizard King
08-23-2001, 01:54 PM
The UK drives on the left because it dates back to old times when soldiers on horseback would pass each other with their sword arms ready. Old British territories such as Australia and India drive on the same side.

gang$tarr
08-23-2001, 05:12 PM
that was already mentioned

Lizard King
08-24-2001, 01:19 PM
Oh yeah, it was me. :)

I knew I mentioned it somewhere before....

gang$tarr
08-24-2001, 03:52 PM
heheh, i think you've been smokin a little too much :bonghitte your short term memory is gone! :D

Trigger351
09-02-2001, 01:15 AM
We dont have a prob over here driving on the left side of the road.
My Stang has been converted to RHD as have Vettes, GTOs,Cammaros etc. Good Jap cars are nice and cheap here.

As for Yanks inventing the car........................frogshit:D

blatch
09-05-2001, 09:41 PM
cars were invented in the usa? by who? FORD?! bwahaha. mercedes.

gang$tarr
09-05-2001, 10:12 PM
Mr. Ford didn't invent the car, he invented the manufacturing line... which revolutionized the production of cars... with the production line, in the time it took them to make 1 car before, now they could make a 100... without the production line cars wouldn't be all over the place now because it would have takin forever to build them

this is all straight from my head, so i'm not sure if i remember everything right, but i think that's right

Trigger351
09-05-2001, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Steel
Which reminds me....it sounds like a dumb wuestion, but are UK motorcycles controls reverse from american ones? i.e. the shifter and clutch on the right side wiith both brakes on the left? it sounds dumb, but my ex g/f's dad had a triumph, and im pretty sure its controls were....backwards :D

Bikes are the same all over the world Dude:smoka:

Lizard King
09-11-2001, 04:26 PM
Mercedes? Pah! Its a little known fact that a vehicle that can be called a car was made long before Mercedes produced an automobile.

Sleepy
09-12-2001, 04:17 PM
depends on what im drivin in my truck right down the middle must people move unless its a semi

hakka
09-13-2001, 12:15 PM
Right side...all Vettes, Vipers, and most Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos are made for the right, right?

YogsVR4
08-23-2002, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by hakka
Right side...all Vettes, Vipers, and most Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos are made for the right, right?

Right - I think.

I know this is an older thread, but there are a lot of other members patrolling this forum now. Perhaps they can cast a vote as well.

taranaki
08-23-2002, 04:17 PM
Can't see a problem here....as long as all of the people on one continent stick to the same system,it doesn't matter which one is used.What I find perplexing is the lack of standardization in column switches - why are Fords diffrerent to most others?

Ssom
08-23-2002, 08:23 PM
What I am more interested id why people can put steering wheels and Pedals on the right side of the car, but they can't freaking well put the Indicator stalks on the right sides :mad: :mad: :mad:

street_racer_00
08-23-2002, 09:43 PM
I can even remember which I voted for now, but I think I voted for the right. I have no experience driving on the left (plenty down the middle:D ) so I don't think I have any say in this discussion. I don't think driving down either side would make any more sense than the other, personally.

Damien
08-24-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by YogsVR4
Cars weren't invented in the US? Well lets just double check history....

Several Italians recorded designs for wind driven vehicles. The first was Guido da Vigevano in 1335. It was a windmill type drive to gears and thus to wheels. Vaturio designed a similar vehicle which was also never built. Later Leonardo da Vinci designed a clockwork driven tricycle with tiller steering and a differential mechanism between the rear wheels.

- Hmmmm..... Lets take a look at more history.

A Catholic priest named Father Ferdinand Verbiest has been said to have built a steam powered vehicle for the Chinese Emperor Chien Lung in about 1678. There is no information about the vehicle, only the event. Since James Watt didn't invent the steam engine until 1705 we can guess that this was possibly a model vehicle powered by a mechanism like Hero's steam engine, a spinning wheel with jets on the periphery.

- Getting closer to a car.....

The first vehicle to move under its own power for which there is a record was designed by Nicholas Joseph Cugnot and constructed by M. Brezin in 1769. A replica of this vehicle is on display at the Conservatoire des Arts et Metiers, in Paris.

Closer still, but it weighed 8000 pounds and went 2 miles an hour (YES - 2)....

A Frenchman named Etienne Lenoir patented the first practical gas engine in Paris in 1860 and drove a car based on the design from Paris to Joinville in 1862. His one-half horse power engine had a bore of 5 inches and a 24 inch stroke. It was big and heavy and turned 100 rpm.

Now we have an engine in something that resembles a car...

Running by February, 1893 and ready for road trials by September, 1893 the car built by Charles and Frank Duryea, brothers, was the first gasoline powered car in America.

So MBTN is right - the first car was not built in America. It appears to be 1335. I wonder what side of the road they drove on back then? So the question should be - who first picked a side of the road people should drive on. I'll go with the US again. ;)

To much history!!!!! http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ed/retarded.gif

I say we ask the mail people!!! They drive perfectly on the other side! :D

sarujin
08-24-2002, 10:33 PM
I'm not quite sure of this, but I think its the truth.

More countries in the world drive on the left side of the Road. Britain, Oceania, Asia, Africa etc.

But the countries that drive on the right have more cars. As they are the wealthy countries overall. North America, and Europe

sarujin

Ssom
08-24-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by sarujin
I'm not quite sure of this, but I think its the truth.

More countries in the world drive on the left side of the Road. Britain, Oceania, Asia, Africa etc.

But the countries that drive on the right have more cars. As they are the wealthy countries overall. North America, and Europe

sarujin

Hmmmmmmm you make a good point indeed.

BUT in Africa, don't people just drive on whichever side of the road pleases them :confused: :finger:
Also in South Africa they drive on the right side of the road (Cause Holden exports LHD Commodore SS' to South Africa) :licker:

sarujin
08-25-2002, 05:35 AM
Well I dunno about most of Africas, but I guess the northern countries would drive on the right side just like europe. But I always thought South Africa drove on the left side.

Oh and sitting on the righthand side of the car is much better. Since most people are right handed their right arms are stronger. So then if you don't have power steering its easier to drive, as the stronger arm is turning. The left is just changing gears. Also its harder for the passenger to stand on the accelerator as its the furtherest away pedal.

sarujin

darkness
08-25-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by jay@af
If we (Americans) drove on the other side of the road, we could have had all the Skylines we want all along. :( Probably some TVRs, too.

I think that's enough of a reason for you guys to change over:D

kimron
08-28-2002, 05:25 PM
OMG

this was really confusing but i understand what your talking about.

over here (St Kitts W.I.) we drive on the left. our cars are 'supposed' to be right hand drive but the 'American WANABEES' bring their stinkin:bloated: big ass cars and trucks down here to boast.

LOOK AT ME IM DRIVIND A BIG STUPID ASS EXCUSE FOR A CAR!!

peace:smoka: :ylsuper :wave:

Jay!
08-28-2002, 05:31 PM
The debate should not have been over who invented cars, but who invented driving. ;)

Moppie
08-28-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Moss1O6GTi

Also in South Africa they drive on the right side of the road (Cause Holden exports LHD Commodore SS' to South Africa) :licker:

No the SAF's drive on the left, just like we do.
All the cars imported here from SAF (with the SAF's) are right hand drive, and all the cars sold there new are also RHD.

I believe the Americans Drive on the Right simply becasue the British drive on the left, it has something to do with some war they had several hundred years ago, and is also the reason American horse races are run anti clockwise, as it was thought the British ran them Clock wise.

I have no idea why the British drive on the left, and Europeans drive on the right however.
The best explanation Iv been able to find is that during the start of last centuray when cars were first becoming popular, but before the Model T most cars made and sold by British companys had the steering wheel on the right, while the Germans for some reason put the steering wheel on the left. Road rules then grew to reflect this.

However does it really matter?
I mean seriously, as long as your not driving on the same side as the person comeing the other way I dont see any advantage to driving on either side of the road.

Ssom
08-29-2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Moppie

No the SAF's drive on the left, just like we do.
All the cars imported here from SAF (with the SAF's) are right hand drive, and all the cars sold there new are also RHD.

I believe the Americans Drive on the Right simply becasue the British drive on the left, it has something to do with some war they had several hundred years ago, and is also the reason American horse races are run anti clockwise, as it was thought the British ran them Clock wise.

I have no idea why the British drive on the left, and Europeans drive on the right however.
The best explanation Iv been able to find is that during the start of last centuray when cars were first becoming popular, but before the Model T most cars made and sold by British companys had the steering wheel on the right, while the Germans for some reason put the steering wheel on the left. Road rules then grew to reflect this.

However does it really matter?
I mean seriously, as long as your not driving on the same side as the person comeing the other way I dont see any advantage to driving on either side of the road.

The explanations are all pretty logical.

Also, if what you are saying in the last paragraph is that what side a country chooses is a matter of choice.......Then you are dead right :D

Chevrolet1986
08-29-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by YogsVR4
Ok - Let me preface this by saying I am left handed so I am naturally biased to the left side of most things. However, where do people think we should be driving? On the left or the right side. Also, let me be the first smart ass to say, "Drive on the right because thats the way the traffic is going." (or vise versa)

btw - Cars were invented in the USA so I think the world should change to be like us. :sun:

I could'nt agree with you more. We invented the car, let the people in the other countries drive the right side like we do. I've been thinking... why do other countries drive on the left side of the road? Is it cause the steering wheels are on the right side or somethin? I don't get it....:confused: :confused:

Ssom
08-29-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Chevrolet1986

I could'nt agree with you more. We invented the car, let the people in the other countries drive the right side like we do. I've been thinking... why do other countries drive on the left side of the road? Is it cause the steering wheels are on the right side or somethin? I don't get it....:confused: :confused:

Yes it is because it is the steering wheels are on the right and also has something to do with shaking hands :confused:

Why the fuck should we have to change sides is what I want to know, a little variation is good :D

Chevrolet1986
08-30-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Moss1O6GTi

Yes it is because it is the steering wheels are on the right and also has something to do with shaking hands :confused:

Why the fuck should we have to change sides is what I want to know, a little variation is good :D

I know right?? Thanks for anwsering my question man :)

Add your comment to this topic!