Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

advanced timing, put 93 octane, lost power?

boosted k20
06-19-2004, 12:08 PM
whats up. well i advacned the timing of my car the other day about 2 degress (moved distributor towards fire wall and checked the timing with timing light. the mark on the timing belt cover was just a little past the 1st white mark (the one closer to the front of the car, not towards the fire wall) on the crank pulley). i had about 1/2 tank fo 89 gas in the car when i did this. i took the car for a spin and noticed that it was pulling hard. It felt very strong. i listened for any knocking but i didnt hear any. so when i was low on fuel, i went to fill up on 93 octane. when i was driving it with the 93 octane, i noticed that the car wasnt pulling as hard as it did before.
my question is, should i go back to 89 octane. i know im supposed to use 91 or higher octance when u advance the timing, but since i didnt experience any knocking in the engine, is it safe to go back to 89 octane?

92lx
06-19-2004, 07:12 PM
butt dyno is going to be pretty unreliable for "feeling" 2-3hp differences. As long as you aren't knocking, you should be able to use 89. 2 degrees is not far at all.

- Nathan

boosted k20
06-20-2004, 04:42 PM
thanx alot man. i'll continue to use 89 octane then

Add your comment to this topic!