Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

stroke or not?

aznbmxxxer
06-19-2004, 03:51 AM
i have a b18b and i am going to build the engine, i am having trouble deciding whether or not to stroke the engine. i am planning to run about 12 psi daily and 18 on the track.

civickiller
06-19-2004, 07:07 AM
are you going to sleeve the block ? what exactly do you plan on doing to the motor ?

aznbmxxxer
06-20-2004, 05:35 AM
i plan to get golden eagle sleeves, je low comp pistons, titanium valves and springs, port and polish, turbo cam, and forged rods, basically i want to build a very strong motor.

civickiller
06-20-2004, 07:02 PM
well if you stroke the motor it wont really affect the reliability, it will increase your tq output.

i think its all of a matter of preference

ciVTEC94
06-24-2004, 08:57 AM
what exactly does stroking mean, how hard is it to perform?

thanks

boosted331
06-24-2004, 01:26 PM
what exactly does stroking mean, how hard is it to perform?

thanks

It means putting a new crankshaft in the motor with a longer throw, for more engine displacement.

IMO it's a waste of time in a honda. You're going to make way more torque than street tires and even slicks will be able to handle if you run a large turbo and a stock displacement motor. Adding a longer stroke will just inrease low end torque and decrease your motors ability to rev, which is how hondas make their power. I have seen B16's make over 600 wheel horsepower with a solid powerband, and if they can do it with a 77mm stroke you can do it with an 89mm stroke.

civickiller
06-24-2004, 02:05 PM
stroking doesnt decrease your ability to rev. ok look at it like this, you got a stock b16 8200 redline, then you got a ls 6800 redline. and the ls has a longer stroke to it doesnt have the ability to rev, according to you.

but you put that vtec head on that ls and what now the new redline on the ls stroke with a vtec head is 8200. but if the stroke decreases its ability to rev then how coem the new ls motor now has a 8200 rev limit, it should be only able to go to 6800, according to you.

stroking changes the powerband in a motor, not the ability to rev. so maybe hte new peak is lower then it was before so you dont rev any higher because its a waste.

when lots of people talk about stroked motor, they get confused between ability to rev and the change in the powerband

boosted331
06-24-2004, 02:34 PM
stroking doesnt decrease your ability to rev. ok look at it like this, you got a stock b16 8200 redline, then you got a ls 6800 redline. and the ls has a longer stroke to it doesnt have the ability to rev, according to you.

but you put that vtec head on that ls and what now the new redline on the ls stroke with a vtec head is 8200. but if the stroke decreases its ability to rev then how coem the new ls motor now has a 8200 rev limit, it should be only able to go to 6800, according to you.

stroking changes the powerband in a motor, not the ability to rev. so maybe hte new peak is lower then it was before so you dont rev any higher because its a waste.

when lots of people talk about stroked motor, they get confused between ability to rev and the change in the powerband

Sorry if I wasn't 100% precise on what I meant, Mr. Smartass, but I'm sure anyone with half of a brain could figure out what I meant :rolleyes:

civickiller
06-24-2004, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=boosted331]decrease your motors ability to revQUOTE]

when you say that, it sounds like when you stroke it, you decrease the motors ability to rev. that in no way sounds like it says you can rev just as high but your power band might be lower.

blacksi_r
06-25-2004, 04:44 AM
it does actually throw a rod rod or put a piston through a wall on your stock stroked motor at high rpms and youll know what i am talking about.

Add your comment to this topic!