Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

wiring for navigation and dvd/video

miketen
06-19-2004, 02:00 AM
hello every one,

i am new here and have a few questions. i am planing to install Pioneer AVIC-N1 DVD/GPS Navigation System in my 2003 yukon denali. does any one know where the vehicle computer is (i am assuming is under the glove compartment) "pioneer" instruction tells me i need to make a connection to the vehicle's speed detection circuit in the vehicles computer. What is the color code for that wire(speed detection wire for this truck)? also what is the color code wire for the power suppy to the parking brakes. i need to make these connections if this navigation system is going to work. also has any one done this before and have tips on where to place the gps antenna, the hide away box etc...( i try calling gmc dealers (about the wiring codes) and they say gmc doesn't reccommend installing after market parts and therefore they couldn't help me)

also i have the dvd/video in my truck, if i install this pioneer system will i lose the this option of using my car speakers for listening to the dvd/video or i will lose the whole dvd/video package in the rear. the pioneer system does have "tri-zone". but i am afriad that the dvd/video system is hard wire to the orginal radio or is it plug in V/0 A/I thing? and if i take that out i lose the whole system. doe any one know anything about this? also will i lose any other truck functions if i take out the orginal radio besides onstar, xm radio and 6 disc changer?

one more thing, if i have the orginal dvd/video system is there still room for me to install a orginal gmc sunrool or even a after market one becasue it looks like the dvd/video system might be in the way??

just want to get some ideas before i make any decisions. any ideas and tips is appreciate thanks in advance!

scott_n_shannon
06-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Did you find out any information about the AVIC-N1 I am stuck at the point of the speed a dn reverse detection. If you got any help will you pass it on to me.
I installed the hideaway uner the console in the middle of the seates and the gps antenna is going to go on the top of the dash it will be covered by the dash mat cover.
All seems well so far it is playing ( the radio) i am just stuck on the wire things

miketen
06-24-2004, 02:56 AM
Did you find out any information about the AVIC-N1 I am stuck at the point of the speed a dn reverse detection. If you got any help will you pass it on to me.
I installed the hideaway uner the console in the middle of the seates and the gps antenna is going to go on the top of the dash it will be covered by the dash mat cover.
All seems well so far it is playing ( the radio) i am just stuck on the wire things

so you installed this system in your truck? how did you hook up the speed detection senor wire? and what color is the wire. is this wire in the vehicle computer under the glove compartment? and what about the code wire for the power suppy to the parking brake. Those are the only 2 things i am not sure about. the speed reverse detection senor..according to the instructions it should be connected to the reverse light. the one that when you put the truck in reverse and it comes on. i am guessing you can run the wire to one of the lights and open it up and make the connection there. i am still in the process of hooking my up, but i am having problems finding out the wire code for those 2 things. if i can't find help here i am planning to return it soon. maybe i have it installed by a shop, but i don't trust them.. they might just rip things apart and do a bad job. also when you done can you please let me know how the system is, gps, radio, dvd, etc. if its not good i will definately return it. thanks jt

tonytone
06-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Sorry I don't have an answer to your Pioneer issue, but as far as installing a factory sunroof--my guess that it would be a bit difficult to do, given your factory DVD unit. Yes, the '04 models allow for both the factory sunroof and factory DVD to coexist but that is because on those vehicles with both sunroof and DVD, the DVD unit is located right-of-center of the second-row dome light and is contained in a slightly larger housing module than the DVD-only/no sunroof vehicles.

This is not to say that you can't install an aftermarket sunroof (or perhaps the factory one, if you can work around the DVD housing issue) even though you have the factory DVD player...but I would imagine it wouldn't be easy--IOW, it may almost not be worth the time and/or money putting in a sunroof in your case.

Just my :2cents: !

scott_n_shannon
06-24-2004, 06:00 PM
The wires are grenn and either white or black. Everything i have looked atr said green either black or white. Mine is Green/black. It is located on the cruise control module. Mine is located in the engine compartment right in front of the drivers seat on the firewall. and the wiring for the revese lights was under the body of the truck on the drivers side. As far as the power supply foir the brake one. I just grounded it on a screw by the brake i couldnt find the wire. And its working fine. I guess that makes it to where i can watch dvd and tv while driving. (even though i wont do that.) The gps i just laid on the dash under the cover and all works fine.
Just make sure that when you are fumbling though the nav part. Put the DISC in!!! I couldnt make mine work and it was becasue i did have the disc in duhhh!!!!
One cool thing i have learned is the button or knob the volume control if you push it it will kind of mute the sound you can only hear it a little.
Have fun and good luck hope that all helps

miketen
06-25-2004, 03:31 AM
The wires are grenn and either white or black. Everything i have looked atr said green either black or white. Mine is Green/black. It is located on the cruise control module. Mine is located in the engine compartment right in front of the drivers seat on the firewall. and the wiring for the revese lights was under the body of the truck on the drivers side. As far as the power supply foir the brake one. I just grounded it on a screw by the brake i couldnt find the wire. And its working fine. I guess that makes it to where i can watch dvd and tv while driving. (even though i wont do that.) The gps i just laid on the dash under the cover and all works fine.
Just make sure that when you are fumbling though the nav part. Put the DISC in!!! I couldnt make mine work and it was becasue i did have the disc in duhhh!!!!
One cool thing i have learned is the button or knob the volume control if you push it it will kind of mute the sound you can only hear it a little.
Have fun and good luck hope that all helps

thanks alot scott, i will check and try to installed. i don't want to seem stupid or any thing just want to get all the facts straight so i can do this installation nice and smooth. what year is your truck, if its an 2003, i am assuming my cruise control module is located in the engine compartment too. i have a 2003 denali. can you describle how this module look like? i jsut want to make sure and not second guess, don't want to mess up the trucks wiring and all. also what color was the reverse lights wiring? its outside under the truck or inside the truck under carpet of the driver seat? iam a little confuse about the gps anntenna you put under the dash boards where it can't be seem? i was assuming you placed it on top of the dash. the instructions says that it needs to be on a level surface either outside the car or at least i am assuming where you can see it (not hidden) to receive a single or a good one? sorry about all these questions, really thankful for your information?

jt

scott_n_shannon
06-25-2004, 03:56 AM
I'd like to clear one thing up. Its SHANNON not Scott. My radio was a mother's day present and i installed it.
Back to the topic at hand.
The reverse wire is UNDER the truck (not inside). What we did was put the car in reverse with the key turned to aux. and poked and the wires til we got a full 12v out of it then put the truck back in park and then there wasnt anything running through the wire. The wire was brown. But just get a meter and check it that way. You ll be able to figure out pretty fast that way. I found it in less than 5 minute. You dont need to take therear tail light out and check the wire color for some stupid a!@# reason it changes by the time it hit the front of the truck.
My cruise control is right inside the engine compartment on the driverside against the fire wall.it about as big as my hand and has a plug. I contacted the dealer up here this morning and he was nice enough to fax me the wiring scematic for the cruise control module. And on that scematic it said speed sensor. I tiried to find it on the net last night for hours and had no luck so for the hell of it i thought id call the dealer and they did give me the info.
My truck is a 96 so it is older and may not be the same. However everywhere i did look it did keep saying the green and some other color wire was it. And that was correct. And i am almost certain your is green and black.

With those clips they give you to clasp the wires together it doesnt ruin the wiring. You could take it off and the wire would be fine. I just makes a little cut through the plastic. (No you dont want to do it wrong but its not going to blow it up either.

Did you get the new wiring harness that changes the wires in the radio to fit exactly yhe radio plug that is in the truck already. I got one and i had the old radio out and the new one in minutes. And the trim ring kit for it to fit in the dash. that was a life saver too.

GPS i was told that i could put it right up on the dashboard and under the coveri have one of those covers so the dash doesnt crack. And it works fine. In the menu on the nav screen somewhere it tells you the signal strength and mine was all the to the top.

Bas_GMC
06-27-2004, 04:48 AM
hello every one,

i am new here and have a few questions. i am planing to install Pioneer AVIC-N1 DVD/GPS Navigation System in my 2003 yukon denali. does any one know where the vehicle computer is (i am assuming is under the glove compartment) "pioneer" instruction tells me i need to make a connection to the vehicle's speed detection circuit in the vehicles computer. What is the color code for that wire(speed detection wire for this truck)? also what is the color code wire for the power suppy to the parking brakes. i need to make these connections if this navigation system is going to work. also has any one done this before and have tips on where to place the gps antenna, the hide away box etc...( i try calling gmc dealers (about the wiring codes) and they say gmc doesn't reccommend installing after market parts and therefore they couldn't help me)

also i have the dvd/video in my truck, if i install this pioneer system will i lose the this option of using my car speakers for listening to the dvd/video or i will lose the whole dvd/video package in the rear. the pioneer system does have "tri-zone". but i am afriad that the dvd/video system is hard wire to the orginal radio or is it plug in V/0 A/I thing? and if i take that out i lose the whole system. doe any one know anything about this? also will i lose any other truck functions if i take out the orginal radio besides onstar, xm radio and 6 disc changer?

one more thing, if i have the orginal dvd/video system is there still room for me to install a orginal gmc sunrool or even a after market one becasue it looks like the dvd/video system might be in the way??

just want to get some ideas before i make any decisions. any ideas and tips is appreciate thanks in advance!

Is your Denali equipped with a speedsensative radio? I.e. the radio will play louder when you drive faster. If so there is your speed sensor. One of the wires on the back. Check it out with a volt gauge. if you have a reading when you drive you have found the right wire.

tonytone
06-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Is your Denali equipped with a speedsensative radio? I.e. the radio will play louder when you drive faster. If so there is your speed sensor. One of the wires on the back. Check it out with a volt gauge. if you have a reading when you drive you have found the right wire.
I know the following doesn't really address the issue regarding the speed sensor wire, but I thought the radio/head unit adjusts the volume based on background noise level...or I think at least the Bose units do it this way? Speed isn't the only thing that would generate a lot of loud background noise... :grinno:

kayvan94
12-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Seems you know a great deal about this topic Iam about to buy a oem nav unit from ebay and try and install it on my 2004 yukon. the dealership said that it is immposible and that the only way to do it is to replace my cars computer. Is this true. what do you know on this topic. i have the unit only and the nav dvd. no wiring harnesses or gps antennas. what will have to happen for my nav to work.

tonytone
01-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Seems you know a great deal about this topic Iam about to buy a oem nav unit from ebay and try and install it on my 2004 yukon. the dealership said that it is immposible and that the only way to do it is to replace my cars computer. Is this true. what do you know on this topic. i have the unit only and the nav dvd. no wiring harnesses or gps antennas. what will have to happen for my nav to work.
You will need to find out which factory audio amp came with (or is currently installed in) your vehicle; if your truck has the Bose audio option, find out whether you have the premium or luxury Bose amp. If you don't have either, you will need to get one--preferably the lux amp...plus there are two nav units--each pre-"programmed" to work with a particular amp.

In any case, I believe there is a thread somewhere in this forum that describes in detail what is needed to install the factory nav in a NBS GM full-size truck/SUV...

Add your comment to this topic!