Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Small light fuse keeps blowing

SiggyBaby
06-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Small light fuse keeps blowing in my fuse relay box under the hood of my 1990 Honda Accord. I asume this is casued by an electrical fault somewhere but finding out what it is will be difficult. Does anyone have any advice?

SenseiAccord
06-18-2004, 11:23 PM
id say bad wiring that is causing it to short all the time. have a respectable mechanic look at it.

SiggyBaby
06-19-2004, 09:03 PM
That's what I was thinking too. I have a Chiltons for it and it claims a good number of problems such as this can be traced to a bad ground.

TGrice
08-19-2004, 10:38 PM
That's what I was thinking too. I have a Chiltons for it and it claims a good number of problems such as this can be traced to a bad ground.

Have you resolved this problem?

I've been having the same problem on a 1991 Accord for the past 4 months. Park lights, license lights, side markers, tail lights, instrument cluster lights and "lights left on" chime are all on this fuse. At first fuse would just blow every week or so, progressed to more frequently so I took it to the dealership yesterday. They couldn't suss it out, replaced several bulbs, cleaned contacts and didn't charge me. Tonight, I'm blowing fuses in a matter of seconds.

In the back there is a Ground "X" (top left side of rear tray), but it is in circuit with the trunk light, directional lights and power antenna motor all of which work.

Grounds Q,R, S and W do not seem to apply.

Do I understand correctly that if the ground is not good, the circuit increases the current (amps) in order to supply the required Voltage necessary for the component to work? It is the increase in amps which blows the fuses. Correct?

Possibly the dash fuse box ground?

I'm looking for a genius automotive electrician with good intuition in northeast Atlanta.

tlg

AccordCodger
08-20-2004, 08:27 AM
Do I understand correctly that if the ground is not good, the circuit increases the current (amps) in order to supply the required Voltage necessary for the component to work? It is the increase in amps which blows the fuses. Correct?

No, that's not correct. A bad ground won't increase the current, it'll decrease it. Blowing fuses is usually caused by a short somewhere, and is typically difficult to find in the harness-wrapped wiring of an automobile

TGrice
08-20-2004, 10:45 PM
No wonder I did so badly in physics. :( Well the Honda dealer shop resolved the problem today. Anyone who wants the answer, please post $100 to my paypal account, no, that wouldn't be right.

By purchasing 5 hours of very qualified Honda tech the problem was revealed to be that the lead beneath the headliner going to the passenger side vanity mirror light was frayed and arcing to the roof whenever power was applied to this circuit. Cost $467.

aelane
10-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Hey everybody, I got mine fixed. I had all the indications I've seen listed here. Got my Haynes manual out and started checking wireing diagrams (15 pages worth) well..............to make a long story short (which is hard for me to do) I remembered my basic trouble shooting techniques that I've learned over the years. 1st I got me a "handful of fuses (15 amp exact replacements . Note: I had checked all the bulbs and they were good. Next i went around to each bulb/light/assy and removed bulb (one at time) and tried the parking/tail lights. If the fuse blew I went to the next bulb/light/assy ,(leaving the bulb I just checked out of the assy), replaced the fuse and tried again. I did this 3 times till I came to the faulty assy. The rest of the lights came on and the fuse did not "blow". I inspected the last assy and found that "hot" wires had melted the insulation and shorted . One is the "hot taillight and the other is the "hot brake light circuit". Hope this helps someone............A

Add your comment to this topic!