Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

84 Accord alternator removal question

kd4rmm
06-18-2004, 04:47 PM
I went to remove the alternator from my 84 Accord, thought this should be pretty straightforward process, double checked my Haynes manual and did everything it says to do, except it doesn't tell me how to actually remove the alternator from the engine compartment, seems there is no gap or opening large enough to extract this alternator through, there is no way it is coming out through the top, and I assumed it would drop out through the bottom but I find that is not working either, what do I yet need to do, un bolt a motor mount and shift the engine? remove the drivers side drive axle? what?
Anyone done one of these?, this is nothing like my delSol

terrywinchester
07-06-2004, 07:41 PM
1989 Honda Accord LXI 2.0 FI

I went to remove the alternator from my 84 Accord, thought this should be pretty straightforward process, double checked my Haynes manual and did everything it says to do, except it doesn't tell me how to actually remove the alternator from the engine compartment, seems there is no gap or opening large enough to extract this alternator through, there is no way it is coming out through the top, and I assumed it would drop out through the bottom but I find that is not working either, what do I yet need to do, un bolt a motor mount and shift the engine? remove the drivers side drive axle? what?
Anyone done one of these?, this is nothing like my delSol

I have the same problem as above with an '89 LXI. I noticed no replies to the original poster - hope someone can reply. PLEASE!!!!

Thanks

kd4rmm
07-06-2004, 08:36 PM
Well I would have thought someone would have answered this by now, but of course I couldn't wait for a reply, so whether or not my procedure was correct I do not know but it did accomplish the job. I thought surely Honda would not have made this basic repair too complexed but perhaps on this I was incorrect?. I knew one of two things had to happen to remove this alternator from the engine compartment either remove the drivers side axle, or un bolt the motor from the front mount ( more if needed ), the axle removal seemed totally excessive, so I went for un bolting the (engine front) motor mount, lifted the engine with floor jack ( capitolizing on the fact it would roll on its wheels) I lifted the engine front about and inch or 2 and with the aid of a bar also shifted it forward an inch or so as well, this barely allowed enough room to squeeze the alternator though by the lower front of the engine, above the drivers side axle outward towards the drivers left front wheel, I still had to bend the sheet metal a tad for the last bit of clearance to totally free the old alternator ( perhaps I could have moved the engine a tad more ?, I didn't want to risk binding anything ) of course just the reverse to install new alternator, once engine mount was bolted back down, it was simply 10 minutes to re secure the alternator where it is supposed to be and I was back in business.
This process still seemed a bit excessive in labor for what should be a 30 minute job tops, but it was also what I needed to do to actually get the job done. I have not experienced such tight work areas on other Honda's (ie) newer civics and delSol's but I do know in the case of the 84 Accord work space is extremely tight on the drivers side of the engine, yet on the flip side I have noticed that the transmission side is much more open and un cluttered than other Honda's I have worked on.

terrywinchester
07-07-2004, 01:18 AM
kd4rmm

Got some suggestions to remove the air filter box and take it out though the firewall. Will see if that works, and let you know.

Thanks for the reply.
-Terry

terrywinchester
07-07-2004, 03:28 PM
Unsure as if theis will work on the '84, but on the '89 Accord, simply take out the air filter housing. Two bolts, and it's out. The job took me about 20 minutes from removal to reinstall.

Hope this helps if you have to do this again.

-Terry

Add your comment to this topic!