Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine skips, hard to start

kbray003
06-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Hey guys Im new to the forum but hope someone can help. Recently i had my car (92 accord EX) fixed because the plug gaskets were leaking oil into the spark plaugs and my engine was misfiring all throughout the driving range.... terrible shaking and I had to have it towed. Well, it was fixed but a couple weeks later it started again; at about 35 mph - 50 mph the engine will skip... kinda feels like the same misfiring only not so bad. It wont do it while accelerating only while at a constant speed at this speed interval. Also, a few times when Ive tried to crank it, it would start but immediatly shake the same way and then stall.... eventually it would start completely though. One time it started fine but when I slightly touched the gas and then released it, it started doing it and almost stalled.... whats going on?

Couldn't be my same spark plug thing!! I replaced the gasket cover, wires, plugs, and had a fuel injector service.... A whole tune up basically.
Maybe fuel pump??? :banghead:

AccordCodger
06-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Doesn't sound like the plugs. But it could be fuel or electrical.

SenseiAccord
06-18-2004, 11:20 PM
so u changed the plugs yea? try pull the plugs out and check them. If they look fine then try get a screw driver with at least a plastic or rubber handle and shove it in the boot of the wire. put the side of the screw driver about 3mm away from metal and have a bud start the car and see if a spark arcs to the metal. (make sure all the wires arent connected to the plugs otherwise the engine will start everytime u do this test) Do that to every plug wire to see it power is going to the plugs. that is a basic way to test for power going to the plugs.

SenseiAccord
06-19-2004, 07:35 AM
oh yea... if ur engine skips at high RPMs... then i say ur coil might be at fault. Not saying its the cure but maybe something to look at.

kbray003
06-21-2004, 11:47 AM
Ok I took it to the shop.... They haven't really looked deep into the problem... I have to take it back later when they have time, but they said maybe EGR something, seleniod, or distributor.... Judging by the fact that I had a tune up and all that extra stuff.... I hope they are right

kbray003
06-23-2004, 03:40 PM
I took it in and the shop couldn't get it to act up.... So they didn't fix it. Why is it that it acts up on me, but won't do anything at the shop.... What do I do now.... Drive it til it breaks and then take it in? Only does this while hot... anyone have a clue.... Im not good w/ auto repair, but what can I do by myself at home... maybe replace the pcv valve, etc???

kbray003
06-23-2004, 03:41 PM
oh yea... if ur engine skips at high RPMs... then i say ur coil might be at fault. Not saying its the cure but maybe something to look at.

Sorry, but what exactly is the coil...?

SenseiAccord
06-23-2004, 07:59 PM
the coil is what converts 12v batter power to 30,000 volts for the spark plugs. I think our accords coil is inside the distributor so u could try ask a mechanic to look at it for u.

cglenn2a
06-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Yes, the coil is inside the distributor cap. It is the device that the rotor rests in. You could try the screwdriver test or you could buy a volt meter to eliminate all that sparking under the hood. The other thing you may want to check is the fast idle thermo valve (for the start then stall problem). When it does not want to start, remove the cover on the valve, and open the valve 1-2 turns, replace cover and try again. The valve itself may be failing and allowing too much air at times and not enough at other times. Haines automotive repair books are a good investment for troubleshooting and identifying parts. Fast Idle valve is located on throttle body near driver side of engine comp. Two screws on the top and some cooling lines on the bottom. Good luck. Let me know what it is when you finger it all out.

Add your comment to this topic!