Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

grinding noises!!

jaysheard
06-18-2004, 01:24 PM
i have an '87 toyota pickup 4x4, 22R-E, and when i turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right while i accelerate, i get a grinding noise that seems to be coming from the suspension, i was wondering if anybody had any clue as to what it may be, pitman arms? knuckle arms? thanks, much appreciated

natenelsen
06-18-2004, 10:11 PM
grinding? is it kinda soundin' like metal rubbing against metal? if so there are these little stops that have plastic caps on them that the plastic gets worn off. Then when you turn it makes this awfull sound. You can replace the caps witch I can never seem to find, or you can do what most folks do, and everytime you change the oil and grease the prop shafts you put a little dab of grease on all four stops.
See if this is not the fix for your problem. I am not that familiar whith the setup on this year model truck, But I belive this is the same.
By the way does this vehicle have birfield joints or CVs up front?

Let us know how things come out and good luck,

Nate

jaysheard
06-19-2004, 10:22 AM
i checked this model and it has two cv joints per side, but ill see if i can order these stop caps from toyota, they're plastic, can't be that expensive. Also, are the stops easily visible or will i have to look around for them for awhile. I'll get back to you on how it turns out.

Thanks, natenelsen

jaysheard
09-15-2004, 12:28 PM
well i finally found the problem, i brought it in to midas and it turned that it was the u-joints on the rear driveshaft, no more sqeaking, thanks guys for all your suggestions

Jay

natenelsen
09-19-2004, 03:24 AM
Hey thanks for the reply, funny how sounds carry on an auto. Glad to hear it was a simple fix.

Nate

Add your comment to this topic!