Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Could use some pointers on a rebuild

R1raceguy
06-17-2004, 08:24 PM
I'm thinking about picking up a '70 Mach 1 for rebuild. Just about everything needs to be redone.

It's got a good deal of rust on it. Almost everything is shot (breaks, engine, shocks, paint, etc).

Any suggestions for the best course of action on a rebuild? Basically, I don't want to do a whole lot of work twice, although I know that I'll end up doing SOMETHINGS twice. :) Any pros out there that can give a word of advice to a newb?

Thanks much!

musclecarfanatic
06-18-2004, 11:32 PM
well, if it needs that much work i personally wouldnt buy it, BUT if you really want it i strongly suggest a ground up restoration due to the amount of work it needs. the ground up restoration consists of starting with the frame, sand blast it then paint it. also decide what engine you want in it so you can decide on the suspension you want/need. but i would go with the ground up restoration if you buy it. best of luck

R1raceguy
06-19-2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured. I'm getting the car for practically nothing, so it'll be purely the costs of actually doing the work.

Thanks

MagicRat
06-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured. I'm getting the car for practically nothing, so it'll be purely the costs of actually doing the work.

Thanks
Chances are you will end up with more money into it than what it's worth. However, the Mach is a good choice because they are worth quite a lot when restored properly and there are huge amounts of good new and reproduction parts available.
Get a book on these cars since the Mustang unit body presents its own problems in terms of rust and structural weaknesses that you must look out for.

Snappy
01-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Break out the check book is all I can say!!!!

mitchdakid
01-28-2005, 12:58 PM

Thanks

If you are buying something that needs alot of work done you have to think of it like this. Do exactly what you want, how you want, and with whatever you want, and do it right the first time.

Add your comment to this topic!