Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

My Car Dies Unexpectantly!?

2crunk
06-17-2004, 02:00 AM
My '03 GT (which is still under warranty) died for the second time in 4 months today. This might not sound that serious, but when your driving down the street at 50 mph and your car dies for no reason you really get concerned. It didn't make any noises and doesn't drive funny at all. When it died (i was literally going 50 mph) i put the car in neutral started it back up and kept driving. It wasn't hard to start or anything and has only done this once before. Does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S.- i also noticed when i turn on my AC the car acts like it loses power, as if it were out of gas for a second. It does this quite frequently when the AC is on but has never died. Maybe these problems are related maybe not. Is it normal for a GT to behave like this with the air conditioner on, any feedback will be appreciated. Thanx.

HiFlow5 0
06-17-2004, 10:37 AM
AC draws a good amount of power to run, so you will notice that your cars feels under-powered when it is on.

As for the car cutting out on you, bring it back to the dealer if it's under warrenty.

duplox
06-17-2004, 12:18 PM
Your computer seems confused. The only difference the motor sees between in gear and not is the motor isn't spinning as fast and its not under load.. the only explanation why it'd die would be losing spark or fuel. So your computer is either cutting power to the fuel pump or ignition only when the car is under load or not at idle... Take it to the dealer

2crunk
07-10-2004, 12:58 PM
UPDATE: I brought my car to the dealership last week and they said this has been a problem in some Ford cars in the years 2001-2004. What the dealership told me is that some vehicles have died when they came to a stop or when they were slowing down (in my case). To fix this, they said that there is "upgraded software" that needs to be installed in the computer. It has been a little over a week since my car has been out of the shop and so far so good. If anyone else has a problem with their car cutting off or stalling, check with your mechanic, this may be the reason.

90Stangjc
07-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Does your car have a lopey idle? Like it goes from 800-1200rpms sometimes? If so, your computer is not the problem.

2crunk
07-11-2004, 12:35 AM
Does your car have a lopey idle? Like it goes from 800-1200rpms sometimes? If so, your computer is not the problem.

HUH?! You must have misunderstood my post or didn't read my update. The car is fixed and the dealership had to install more software into the computer.

Add your comment to this topic!