Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

YJ Dash lights wont turn on

cowseats
06-16-2004, 09:36 PM
Dash lights refuse to work.

A week ago I took the hard top off my jeep, and that is when i first noticed this problem. (Only electrical work done where was disconnecting dome light)

Now DASH LIGHTS DONT WORK

Ive:

1. Checked all fuses, they all work
2. Took dash appart, all wires seem to be connected
3. Head lights will turn on at night, but dash lights dont
4. Took to my mechanic but he refuses to take a look at it with all the alarm system, fog light, and neon wires under the dash.

Is there specifically something I should be looking for? Ive seen many other postings of people having the same problem. Jeep works fine otherwise. But i guess its against "safety standards" to have a dash that doesn't light up at night.

please post any ideas, thanks
or email to alexbarker49@hotmail.com
thanks again

crapshot
12-30-2004, 10:58 PM
just get a new switch at autozone. they cost 25 bucks. if that doesn't fix the problem look at the relay. it has to be one of the two and i would start with the switch. when the light switch in yj's goes bad the headlights go out intermittantly, dash lights and parking lights the same way. not to fun on the freeway. there is a relay behind the dash and it shows up on part searches but i have yet to find the relay other than at the dealership. try changing the light switch first.......

Add your comment to this topic!