Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

GMC Yukon, Check Eng.

mrchiqui
06-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Hello, Everyone..
I have a 2000 GMC yukon with 49,000 miles. The problem I have is that the Fuel gauge show empty with a full gas tank. The light came on for check engine also all gauges work fine exept for fuel. The engine runs great with no missing..What could be the problem ?....
Thank You... Joe

denalio34ceo
06-17-2004, 09:51 AM
Fuel gauge empty - could be a faulty sensor in the tank. Then again it could be a faulty gauge.

Check engine light - I doubt it has anything to do with the fuel gauge. That light indicates an emissions problem but you stated that the engine runs great. It could be so minute that it's only noticeable to the computer.

mrchiqui
06-17-2004, 05:46 PM
Thank You... Denalio34ceo
I doubt that could be Faulty gauge. Them is possible a faulty sensor in the tank.
Thanks again..

GMCTech
06-18-2004, 05:25 AM
Get the codes read - (AutoZone does this for free), and let us know what you find.

Hope we can help.

P-hat
06-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Same problem here with check engine light. Autozone read it as "main fuel pump circuit malfunction." No adverse affects at first, but now it seems to "starve" for fuel (just momentarily) after a medium acceleration up to speed and then backing off. RPMs dropped from about 1200 to 600 back to 1200.
Replaced fuel filter...check engine light went off for a few hours. Back on now...and stays on.
Man that fuel pump whines (at least that's what I think it is) after running a while...especially after towing.
Any help is appreciated.

Failed to mention...2000 Yukon XL

P-hat
06-24-2004, 02:16 PM
OK...my frustration level is real high.

Yukon is in for 2nd time for Service Engine light. It's reading "main fuel pump circuit malfunction."
Shop told me 1st time to drive until symptoms arise. 2 weeks later...symptoms I describe in previous post (see above) start up.
So...it's now back in and the service guy tells me "we know there's a problem, we know what the problem is, we just don't know where it's at" and that I should basically drive it until it dies. Service guy cleaned/checked all connections and stated they could spend all day chasing the circuit down and not find anything.

BTW - this is a service house (not associated with GMC) that says they have the same equipment as the dealership.

For you service guys...anything you can offer up?

Again, any suggestion is appreciated.

Driving a vehicle around with a known problem isn't a comfortable feeling when toting the wife, 2 kids, and a boat around.

Thanks!

Vroom2
06-24-2004, 05:12 PM
Good luck with this - what a pain in the neck. Has the shop actually eliminated the fuel pump itself as the source of the problem? I understand they'd be hesitant to drop the tank, but it sure sounds like that's where it's headed...

Take care,
Jerry

P-hat
06-24-2004, 05:52 PM
Jerry,
The shop has not ruled out the fuel pump. They aren't convinced that's the problem b/c in their experience they either work, or don't. They are kind of looking out for me b/c they don't want me to be unhappy if I drop the cash for the fuel pump and the problem still remains.
I guess the code (DTC P0230: Fuel pump control circuit) is tripped when the voltage to the fuel pump drops below 10.5v or spikes above 15v. They just don't know what's causing the loss/spike.
Thanks,
Paul

adtack
06-25-2004, 06:03 PM
I've had similar problems with the fuel guage not working properly and the check engine light coming on with no performance problems. They were related to excessive sulfur levels in the gasoline. This caused corrosion to form on the fuel sending unit and gave me the problems noted above. I switched gas and the problem cleared up after about 2 tanks. It's a cheap try anyway. You could even try a fuel system cleaner to help (might or might not make it better). As far as the guy with the performance problems, I haven't heard of this exact problem in a yukon, but the bad gas has caused fuel pump problems as well in other vehicles. Hope your yukons are all feeling better soon.

Add your comment to this topic!