Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2003 Hyundai I4 Tiburon, would like some suggestions for mods...

ColeIketani
06-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Well if you read my sig, you know that I have a Hyundai Tiburon. I got it for a few reasons. One, I like the Hyundai. I had a 1999 Tiburon previously and fell in love with the 2003. Second, you don't see alot of them out on the road, so there are enough of them that people know what they are, but not enough that everyone and thier grandmother has one.

Anyway. I'm just looking for some mods, short of getting a Turbo Kit from Gude ( at least right now ;) ) that would help me increase the horsepower of my ride. I've just been shooting for somewhere around 200 to 230 horses. (I figured it was a reasonable gain. I already put a KanN filter on it, and that's about it. I do have some other ideas in the works like the Mussa Catback Exhaust, some Eibach lowering springs or some other springs around of the same quality. Also I'd like to increase the size of the brakes from the stock 10 inches disc brakes to something like 12- 13 inches diamond slotted rotors on the front and racing brake pads on the aft. (Since my car is FWD, I would think that what would be point of having slotted diamonds on the back. Of course if I don't have a option I will get all four rotors). An Injen CAI was another idea I had.

As of this moment, with those parts installed, I estimated about a twenty two horsepower gain to reach about 160 horses. At a cost of about $800, before the big brake kit, with the kits that I've seen, it's been about $1600- $2000 added on to that. (If I got a turbo, I would rather work on the brakes first. What would be the point of having 390 plus HP if I can't stop short of like 400ft lol?) That's about forty hp short of my goal.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

PS: I'm not some noob who doesn't know about cars. I just wanted some suggestions from my other car nerd people so I could have a vast array of ideas and parts to work on a wishlist for parts.

I'm also going to put this in the Tiburon board and a few others, but I figured I would get more help here

ColeIketani
06-17-2004, 04:17 PM
:feedback: :feedback: :feedback: :feedback: :feedback:

Afrofent
06-18-2004, 03:38 AM
Hmm, an Exhaust, Header, some engine internals, a power chip, the turbo.

Doubletap
06-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Ass, you don't put headers on a turbocharged car. You put on a Turbo Manifold.

Other than that I got noting. Good luck with the Tib.

DoubleTap

Igovert500
07-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Whoaa doubletap chill out, no need to be aggresive...and you put exhaust manifold and a downpipe on turbo cars...not just the exhaust manifold. Headers=downpipe(essentially) it just comes down to different terminology on the application...turbo or n/a

cole...my suggestion...don't spend 2-3k on a big brake conversion...unless you are planning on braking from 100+mph to zero quite often it isn't worth it. Get some decent pads(you mentioned racing pads, make sure the ones you get are good in everyday driving conditions as well...many racing pads need to reach a certain temp before they work ideally, that temp might not be reached in everyday driving applications and you might actually lose braking ability rather than gain), perhaps cross-drilled or slotted rotors, but a whole kit definantly isn't necessary unless you are going to be doing the rough braking mentioned above quite often. Save the money and get a turbo, throw on a 3inch exhaust to let the turbo breathe. Get a testpipe to replace the cat, a downpipe, and intake, maybe even a larger MAF or intake manifold(I'm not sure what is available for the aftermarket Tib). Then if you get greedy for more hp, an air/fuel controller, lightened flywheel, larger injectors, and a better fuel pump will help.
PS. I don't know where you came up with 390plus hp, but realistically a turbo and the mods you mentioned above aren't putting you anywhere near that.
The springs will definantly reduce body roll on corners and improve your handling, so that is a good idea if you are giving it more power.

Just my .02 hope it helps.

gbrad64
07-09-2004, 06:03 PM
Hi every one...I am new to this forum...but have been tinkering with cars
for years...
a friend of mine just picked up on a Tiburon.
its an 04 with a really nice V-6...
he wants me to put some mods in it...
well i got a quick look at the engine compartment.it was raining ..so the look was quick...
i have some ideas but i have a question first..
1. Is all that plastic covering around the engine there for function?
or is it to keep the owner going to the dealer for work?
I was imperssed with the double over head cam design..this engine is very capable of puting out more HP...its coupled with a six speed transmision..
but when driving it the sixth gear does not seem to any larger than fith...
right now i have finished cutting a 3in. intake pipes so i can fit a K&N
cone filter....the throttle body is rather small..in fact it looks like its about the same size as the body on my Suzuki aerio..and its a 2L four ....
the stock filter i took out is actually smaller in size than the one in the suzuki...
i cant believe their trying to feed a v-6 through such a small intake
is there a place i can get an interface for the computer?
or a hot chip?
i hope i dont have to get the computer (cracked)..
(take it to a computer tech and have him decode and reprogram it)
thx

scottsee
09-04-2004, 11:38 PM
sell the tiburon, and buy a 1g eclipse gsx, and spend 2-3 grand, and you'll be in the high 12's. with plenty of $ left over. thats what i would do. The tiburons suck fucking ass for performance. i know, i've been selling them for 2 years. no offence to you owning one. their great looking. but untell they come out with their 2.4cly, 3.3 v6 & 3.8 v6 their going to be slow no matter what. booo to hundai for not giving the tib awd.

-Josh-
09-07-2004, 05:40 PM
That post didn't help him out in any way. Cole, if you want hooked up with someone who know's his shit and can help you out, PM me. He's been tinkering with imports for years and could give you some very good advice. Right now he owns an Integra GSR, slightly modified and running mid to low 14's. Just PM if you're interested.

tricksaturnsc2
11-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Bolt ons do a lot less than people think. To reach 200-230 you would have to get a turbo kit.

Add your comment to this topic!