Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Milage

ticker
06-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Can anyone tell me how to increase fuel milage on the V10 engine?
10.5 mpg is not what I want

ruralrebelracing
06-16-2004, 04:10 PM
if they still do it were you are at ford makes fuel chip that they can put in and that should give you more mpg, you can get a air flow tail gate or just leave your stock tailgate down.

If it is dieasil then they make a product called sixgun package that you hook up to your engine(easy to hook up if you follow directions) which has six different settings that you choose from and each setting has different levels of hspw and torque to help you with towing or mpg or if you want that little bit power to show those little ricer racers what true american horsepower is all about.

if you need any more info on this stuff then you can email me and i can send you more info and options.

ticker
06-17-2004, 01:13 PM
if they still do it were you are at ford makes fuel chip that they can put in and that should give you more mpg, you can get a air flow tail gate or just leave your stock tailgate down.

If it is dieasil then they make a product called sixgun package that you hook up to your engine(easy to hook up if you follow directions) which has six different settings that you choose from and each setting has different levels of hspw and torque to help you with towing or mpg or if you want that little bit power to show those little ricer racers what true american horsepower is all about.

if you need any more info on this stuff then you can email me and i can send you more info and options.

Do these chips void warrenty?

landyacht
06-18-2004, 11:37 AM
Ford recommended parts shouldn't void any warranty, just confirm with your dealer before doing anything, they may ahve some suggestions for you aswell.

By the way:

If it is dieasil

The 6.8L V10 isn't a diesel. I dunno if i read the post wrong...i just thought i should clarify...ford doesn't make a V10 diesel engine in the 350 series and under.

The ORIG. Dig. Oxy
06-19-2004, 12:43 PM
Thank you landyacht. I was just about to tear into that pinhead. This is the 2nd time he's posted irellevant stuff in a thread.

But I didnt think Ford had any V10 Diesels? I thought the bigger F series had Industrials, like Cat's in them?

Hell, if it goes over an F350, Im clueless about what powers it.

landyacht
06-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Thank you landyacht. I was just about to tear into that pinhead. This is the 2nd time he's posted irellevant stuff in a thread.

But I didnt think Ford had any V10 Diesels? I thought the bigger F series had Industrials, like Cat's in them?

Hell, if it goes over an F350, Im clueless about what powers it.

The 6.8L V10 gas and the 6.0L Diesel are available in the F450/550 truck, it's just got a heavier chassis to be able to handle the extra weight and pulling capabilities. The motors are very powerfull and can handle the added weight, the problem is with anything over 13,000lbs you need these bigger trucks because anything 'smaller' doesn't have the propper chassis rating.

Beyond 450 and 550 i don't know, i've never dealt with anything heavier in my selling experience, but i believe you're right in the CAT engines and such for the really big trucks. Ford doesn't make a 10 cylinder diesel in any application that i know of, i don't think it even exists from Ford itself. It all goes to the CAT stuff or whatever after 450/550.

On a side note, don't buy a 6.8L V10 gas engine in any of the bigger trucks as it will make a huge dent in your wallet. Don't get me wrong, for what it is, the trucks are EXTREMELY fuel efficient, they just consume alot more gas...it'll still pull just as well as the diesel too. The diesel itself isn't cleaner burning, but it doesn't use fuel up as fast, so you'll be able to go further on a tank of it.

:smile:

The ORIG. Dig. Oxy
06-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Ah. So ford still puts the 6.0 in the 450 and 550's? Kind of sad, when you can get the 6 in a 250.

I didn't think ford made a 10 cyl. Diesel either, but I have been known to be wrong a time or two before.

If you sell FORDS, please PM me. I'm looking for a 250 Diesel. I drove a V10, and it was a dog.

landyacht
06-21-2004, 12:06 PM
LOL, you found the V10 to be a dog eh? Compared to a turbocharged diesel i suppose it would be, but it still hauls ass!

It's not really sad that they put the 6.0L Diesel in the 450/550 trucks when you can get it in a 250...it just goes to show how powerfull that engine is....just my :2cents: on that one though.

I'd love to hook you up with a truck, but i'm not selling anymore, i've gone back to school. But i sold with Canada's number one Ford truck retailing dealership (was with them for nearly 2 years), so questions and such things there's pretty much nothing i couldn't answer for you.

rffg
06-22-2004, 04:33 PM
I'd appreciate your, or anyone's, response to a question I have. Before I move from my 5.4 Expedition into the Diesel venue I am concerned about all the horror stories about having to replace the Tranny after 90,000 to 110,000 miles because of the over torqueing of the engine. My question is this: If I am to pull nothing more than 8,000 pounds about five times per year (a boat to the Lake) and religiously comply with whatever the manufacturer suggests regarding servicing, will the Tranny replacement still be 'sure thing'? The reason for my question is this: I am looking at used F250/F350 diesels with anywhere from 50,000 to 75,000 miles in my search. And I don't want to look forward the the expense of a Tranny in a year or two. Thanks in advance for any response you may provide.

ModMech
06-23-2004, 10:17 AM
rffg,

If you are looking at used diesels, make SURE of two things.

1) It is NOT a 6.0L manufactured before 11/'03 (Ford had LOTS of problems with them, but the newer ones are fine).

2) Check the condition of the ATF. It MUST be in good condition, not new, but look and smell like ATF ande not BURNED ATF. If it has higher miles, and looks NEW, that is also not good.

The biggest problems with bad ATs is not the fault of the AT, but of the owner/operator. You just cannot pull heavy loads for years without doing your necessary ATF changes and expect it to live. ALso, pulling 8,000# with 3.55 gears is foolish, you overwork the trans, if you plan to TOW, get the towing package that's proper for your loads but since it costs extra $$, and most "buy off the lot" they take what looks good, then complain it didn't hold up because they were towing stuff WAY too heavy for the truck.

landyacht
06-23-2004, 05:27 PM
ModMech pretty much summed it up.

The other things i can give you to go on, is i'm assuming that you're looking at a BRAND NEW diesel truck. ModMech covered the used vehicle standpoint, i'll cover the new.

At 8,000lbs, the trailer will be no sweat for the engine/transmission combination. Just make sure you get the 3.73 gears and a limited slip rear axle. This is the best combination i've found for towing.

If you plan on following Ford's Required Maintenance schedule to the 'T' then you will have no problems. Stick to your guide, and you won't have trouble with the tranny at all, not out of pocket anyway, it's covered under your new vehicle warranty of 3 years 60,000km. I'm hoping you don't bag on your vehicles, because that will make a difference if there is ever a warranty claim.

Just one note on the used 6.0L...look at the production date. Don't buy one that was made before June of 2003, even if the recalls have been done on it, Ford has no authorised the repair of EACH problem, only problems as they occur. Best to steer clear of these trucks entirely.

rffg
06-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks for you informative response. The more I read the more confused I get. Especially with all the 'precautions' about diesels that could cost mucho bucks down the road. But all info is appreciated. Sometimes I think I should go to Sears and get a riding mower to drive around and give up boating and RVing.

landyacht
06-24-2004, 06:30 PM
LOL, you don't need to give up anything...just find a good knowledgeable and HONEST place to ask your questions. That can be a hard quality to find in a dealership even still. It disgusts me, really.

I think that's why i was as successfull as i was at selling cars. Why lie to the customers? If i do, they're just gonna get pissed off and not buy from me, so why do it?

Add your comment to this topic!