Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rode in a stock 5.0 tonight

Ricochet
06-15-2004, 01:00 AM
I'm a stranger to this area but I rode in my buddy's stock 5.0 tonight (first time ever in a stock Mustang). I wasn't too impressed but that's probably because it was stock. My type-r raped him on the way home from the bar we were at, but his was auto and I didn't know they automatically shifted at 4,000 rpms even when floored :screwy: That really sucks..

I've been in wicked-fast boosted Mustangs before and had a great time, but I had no idea the stock, auto five liters were so slow.. I was actually looking to sell my car and buy a 5-speed 5.0 because I love them to death, but now I'm rethinking that. Anyways I really don't mean to start a Honda/Ford fight here, just wondering if a 5-speed is noticeably any faster than the autos?

2crunk
06-15-2004, 01:09 AM
I was actually looking to sell my car and buy a 5-speed 5.0 because I love them to death, but now I'm rethinking that. Anyways I really don't mean to start a Honda/Ford fight here, just wondering if a 5-speed is noticeably any faster than the autos?

Without a doubt, add some gears and you'll love it!

Ricochet
06-15-2004, 01:11 AM
The 4.10 gears? (I think..?) Sorry I don't know much about them.

motor_head_429
06-15-2004, 02:17 AM
4.10 gears if you ask me is a little too much for the stick. 3.73 or 3.55 gears are pretty good on a 5 speed. Then again I know a guy who had 4.30s on a 5 speed. On an automatic though, I think I would go with 4.10 gears. Yes, the 5 speed is a lot faster than the auto. The AODE transmission used in Mustangs is a really bad transmission. It's not a performance transmission in any sense of the word, it won't hold shifts long enough, and shifts way too softly. What Type-R do you have?

Ricochet
06-15-2004, 02:41 AM
A Japanese Civic Type R engine, B16B.. 185hp@8200rpms with some bolt-ons, so probably around 200hp. I took him (the ford driver) for a ride and he had a blast :), and was really surprised how the stereotyped vtec was actually kind of quick. Check my sig link for pictures and crap. It's still just a fwd Civic but it's fun for what it is, but in the near future I'd really like to have a blown 5.0 or LS1 - something fast, not just "kinda fun". I'm tired of having to rev sky-high to get any power out of my current car.. I'd rather have a usable powerband rather than blaming losses on not being in vtec :(

HiFlow5 0
06-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Take it from me, going from an auto to 5-speed is a big difference. Even comparing my two cars. Heavily modded GT with an auto, and a basically stock (exhaust and gears) coupe with a 5-speed. The coupe with take my GT off the line, but my GT will totally kill the coupe in the top end.

kittedb18bt
06-15-2004, 01:16 PM
ricochet, come join us. i just got my cobra and i haven't had one regret, except for gas consumption. i have heard the autos are terrible for the older mustangs. the only cars i have heard the autos are comparable to the sticks performance-wise are the trans ams and the corvettes.

Future303
06-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Oh man, am I lucky I got Manual Tranny 'Stang, phew!!

GTStang
06-15-2004, 05:42 PM
The Ford AOD and AODE stock are nothing to write home about in performance. The difference between a T-5 and AOD 5.0 Fox is like night and day.

Got Torque?
06-15-2004, 08:56 PM
you could get a real nice 87-93 5.0 for under $7000, im about to buy an 88 for $2500. theres a lot of competition in the 5.0 scene so mods are reasonably cheap. you could be running 11s for under $7000 and still have a safe, very streetable car.

Add your comment to this topic!