Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Would you want this as your first car.

Gibbsy_au
06-14-2004, 09:07 PM
My friend has just purchased a 1st generation RX-7, then he went off and purchased a series 4 bridge port 13b turbo. He is gonna have it dropped in in a few weeks time. Its his first car, all he has driven so far is his mums corolla. Will the car be controllable at all? Should i advise him against it?

DevoutWankelist
06-14-2004, 10:33 PM
I would definately think that is too much power for a first car. If you want your friend to live to see his second then advise him to get something safer and less powerful.

MBTN
06-14-2004, 10:34 PM
That car would be quite nutty.

Soyo
06-14-2004, 11:56 PM
tell him to have fun getting to to idle even half way decent with a bridgeport... he'll probably blow it up and be with no car... I hope he does, or else he might wrap it around a pole

mx6rrr
06-15-2004, 12:45 AM
my first car was an 88 rx-7 gxl, and I love that car. I never wrecked it although i went the fastest i have ever gone in that car....so....it does have a lot of power, and it is quite small....i guess it depends on how good of a driver he is, if he is alert/aware.....??? I would at least say to stay away from nos for a while!!! :)

ShortyDTP
06-15-2004, 02:13 AM
wish I had money to go and bridgeport my rx!! *sad Face*

D3rELiC
06-15-2004, 12:37 PM
tell him to have fun getting to to idle even half way decent with a bridgeport...

u never saw/heard a bridgeported engine idle dont you ?

the car might idle 500rpm faster, BUT IT WILL IDLE OK

Gibbsy_au : your friend will get horrible gaz millage, HORRIBLE
the car will be very driveable under 5k rpm
depending on the seals used in the engine, he might have to rebuilt it in 40k miles after the engine was built.
he will make tons of power past 8-9k (depending on port shape) but this power wont be useable cuz the more he rev the shit out of the engine, sooner he will have to rebuilt it.

you dont want a bridgeport daly driven only because of the VERY poor mpg

btw i realy think he will blow the engine before killing himself

DevoutWankelist
06-15-2004, 03:54 PM
btw i realy think he will blow the engine before killing himself

I think you're right. Just for the hell of it, if he gets the car lets start a betting pool!

Gibbsy_au
06-15-2004, 08:29 PM
hmm... yeah, i tried to convince him of the above...but he still thinks he is going to do it. He is gonna take it to a rotary workshop to get the engine dropped in, i think those guys will convince him that it is a bad idea.

As for the betting poool, well ill keep you posted. :iceslolan

Soyo
06-16-2004, 12:15 AM
tell him to get a large street port, that'll give him like 20 more hp.. or a half bridge port like devoutwankelist is doing, not sure how much that adds, I'd guess 35? anyone know for sure?

flex339
06-16-2004, 03:39 AM
Well that's not the greatest idea your friend has. The engine life will suck, the mpg will suck, and it will suck when your friend puts the car in the ditch or into a tree. It's his money. I just hope he's careful.

D3rELiC
06-16-2004, 03:56 AM
tell him to get a large street port, that'll give him like 20 more hp.. or a half bridge port like devoutwankelist is doing, not sure how much that adds, I'd guess 35? anyone know for sure?

this is very relative to the port job, compression ratio, engine's health, carb or efi tuning, the engines stock number of ports, the template used, etc.

you just cant shoot numbers like this, cuz a streetport donne by dave lemon for whatever racing class will be very different from lets say CP's streetports.

just try not to send bullshit all arround, im a newb on ur board but i surely know some stuff.

Soyo
06-16-2004, 01:43 PM
yea I said "like 20hp" because thats average on a large street port, and the 35 was a total guess, I even said that. why do people get pissed like I think I know for a fact when I put that I don't know for a fact? crap man chill

nemeii
06-21-2004, 08:34 AM
well soyo , looks like your the one getting knocked a bit on this one, sux when everyone gangs up on you , no?? hehe p.s.- i just picked up a black 95 w/ 58k on the odometer that ill use as the chassis for my 4 rotor research (after i drive her arnd a bit, only measurements for now) laterz, all who "know"
Nemeii

Soyo
06-21-2004, 01:50 PM
and honestly I still don't believe you can make a full size bridgeport idle flat.. its gonna be jumpy and irregular

D3rELiC
06-21-2004, 05:17 PM
i beleive what i saw :) the car was idleling just as flat and good as a gsl-se

Soyo
06-21-2004, 06:02 PM
alright well I've never seen it and never even heard it was possible, I've heard its hard to keep the idle even somewhat regular. who knows, maybe theres a certain way to do it or depends on your mods or something, I sure don't know :)

D3rELiC
06-21-2004, 06:59 PM
maybe we are both right and wrong, it might depend on the ports shape.. now that im thinkin' about it
the bp i saw running was a test bp on a streetcar with a 45DCOE

a mazdatrix fully preped engine with the largest bp available might be a complete other story

Soyo
06-21-2004, 08:14 PM
yea that could be the difference... I know you can idle a half bridge port just fine

D3rELiC
06-22-2004, 12:19 AM
what i saw was not a half bridge. it was a full, maybe not as wide as it could be, but it was a full bridge.

Soyo
06-22-2004, 01:22 AM
oh I know, I'm just saying I know you can idle a half bridge, so maybe there is some way to idle a full bridge, I've just never seen/heard of it

I love how we just took over this thread haha

Add your comment to this topic!