Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Serpentine Converson

chaditotx
06-14-2004, 06:03 PM
1971 El Camino 350. Been thinking about a serpentine conversion for the El Co. Everyone seems to have one for sale from $500-1500 dollars. I searched all over the net to see if I could just pull brackets off a newer engine, but can't find any info on it.

Anyone know if anything is interchangeable?

Thanks,
Chad

auto-man-alta
06-23-2004, 07:08 PM
I'm running a GM system in a 72' chevelle. Took it complete from 87? gm 350 truck. The two main brackets bolted in ok but because I have TFS heads I had to add two addition acc. holes in the heads. Didnt check but maybe the old stock heads already have them. Dont have AC so I modified the upper left bracket to hold the idler. Had to notch the drivers valve cover to clear the alternator. be sure and get the reverse rotation water pump, the power steering pump and a reverse fan. You need a special puller for the pulley on the pws pump. Replacement belts right from the chevy dealer no problem. Once I got the alignment set every thing worked great, 5800 rpm not a problem. Runs 190 degrees all day at idle. You can still get to the cam shaft without having to pull the two major brackets off. Gm perf parts will sell you the complete bracket kit but I have no idea of the price. got some pics somewhere if you want to see how it all looks.

Add your comment to this topic!