Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Have a strange question

jcamaew3
06-12-2004, 10:42 PM
Okay I just replaced my fuel filter plugs and modular and coils they went together($ :banghead: 150.00). well the day before my modular and coil went the check engine light came on for about 10mins I have a key and I got nothing so off to AutoZone well behold as I pull in light goes off. then next day car dies its the modular and coil (coil was original one from manufacture date stamped 88). changed them today the light came on I checked my trans. fluid it was empty I fill it drive to AutoZone behold light goes off about 6 blks of driving and stays off could it be a low pressure light car has a light miss I did not change wires they seem okay only one plug was not working right the rest were okay. Im gonna go nuts here :screwy: . I cant get a code wiht no light and light wont stay long enough to get the code. ANy help please

pcv
06-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Firstly, it would be helpful if you gave us the year and engine of the vehicle in question. If the engine light came on, you should still take it to autozone and get them to retrive the code as that will lead you to the possible problem area. If the lite came on, it set a code in the computor and can still, in most cases, be retrived with a scanner. The lite does not have to be on to get the code. If you have a miss in the vehicle, I'd suggest you replace the wires as well if they havn't been replace before.
Good Luck.

Flatrater
06-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Codes are stored in history after the light goes out.

jcamaew3
06-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Sorry :redface: I did not realize I forgot the year its a 1988 3.1 (6cyl.)(108950 miles) on it. I did take it to autozone and they said no light no help! I know all most of the guys at AutoZOne. I do dhave a code key myself from autoZone and when I put it into the first 2 holes I get nothing no codes.Drove car today no light I added Lucas into the Tranny. Dave at AutoZone said it sounds like the light came on because of the tranny being low on fluid but never happend before but weather was colder the last time the Trans was empty. I just need to make sure that I was not nutty I figure if the trans got hot the engine light came on for that reason if its hot out the engone will get hot ter than if its 20 degrees ou;t. I nknow Im not a smart one but Ive been helping nad fixing cars since I was 15 no dad so I did it myself. These ---- newer cars I hate fuel injection like the old dis cap and rotors less trouble. Well thanks for looking and any suggestions will be welcome.

tman
06-14-2004, 12:28 AM
Sorry I did not realize I forgot the year. It’s a 1988 3.1 (6cyl.)(108950 miles). I did take it to Autozone, and they said, “no light no help!” I know all most of the guys at Autozone. I do have a code key from Autozone and when I put it into the first 2 holes, I get nothing, no codes. Drove car today, and no light. I added Lucas into the Tranny. Dave at Autozone said it sounds like the light came on because of the tranny being low on fluid. It never happened before, but weather was colder the last time the Trans was empty. I just need to make sure that I was not nutty. I figure if the trans got hot the engine light came on for that reason. If its hot out, the engine will get hotter than if its 20 degrees out. I know I’m not a smart one but I’ve been helping dad fix cars since I was 15. No dad this time, so I did it myself. These ---- newer cars. I hate fuel injection. I like the old distributer cap and rotors, less trouble. Well thanks for looking and any suggestions will be welcome.

I HAD to add punctuation, and spell things correctly, I couldn't even read it until I did that! Next time, take more time to proofread your post.:banghead:

Anyway, I'm going to merge this with your old thread, no sense in causing confusiuon to other members with there being two threads!

pcv
06-14-2004, 06:14 AM
Did you jump A & B terminals of the ALDL connector? Did you get the initial code 12? If the check engine light came on, you should get a code out of the computor. If no codes, you may have a wiring problem and/or a bad ECM.

Add your comment to this topic!