Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86 Accord LXi automatic,how do you adjust idle/what is up with temp?

punxnotdead
06-12-2004, 12:47 AM
The car idles fine at initial startup(about 900) but when it warms up(which only takes about 1 min for some reason) idles down to about 400 and feels like it barely stay alive. Is it possible to adjust idle? If so,where is the idle located?

As for the car getting really hot real quick,what could be the problem here? It stays at about half temp while driving but sometimes goes up to about 3/4 when left sitting for a moment,the fan also stays on for a really long time after shutdown,is that normal? Please,any help or input on either of these matters will be greatly appreciated....Thanks

mlgreen
06-13-2004, 07:14 PM
I have an '84 (carb) so this may be of limited use to you. Anyway, the initial startup rpm is probably normal. Mine has a "fast idle" and a slow one. The fast is designed, I believe, to get the car up to operating temp quicker, so that the car is more efficient. As far as the low-idling goes, 400 seems a bit low. You might be able to look on the underneath of the hood to see what the idle should be (it could be somewhere else in the engine compartment too). It varies depending upon whether you have an at or mt. I would guess that your rpm should be about 6-700. I'm not sure how you would adjust your's, my carb has an idle adjust screw so it doesn't take much imagination. ANyway, my idle is supposed to be correct, but it still feels as though it might stall sometimes, but never does.
Also, my temp gauge often goes above 1/2, sometimes up to 2/3 or maybe 3/4. I was really concerned initially. My guess is that they didn't have an efficient enough cooling system or that that range was normal for that era of cars. Just make sure it doesn't get too crazy and don't worry about it. You could need a thermostat, but mine's new and it still does that.
Good luck

Add your comment to this topic!