How do I reset "Change Oil Soon" light

caseybird
06-11-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi all .... I'm new to this site - hope someone has an answer that works. I changed the oil in my 2002 SC2 (3-door coupe) - but the Change Oil Soon light still stays on for an extended period when I first start the car. How can I reset that - or turn it off?

Thanks ... and happy Friday

sierrap615
06-14-2004, 12:00 AM
i haven't worked on any 2002. but i haven't seen a change oil light on any other saturn. is it the oil low pressure light?(looks like a little oil can) or some light? and how long does it stay on? any more then five or ten seconds and i would kill the engine or else the engine will kill itself. check the dipstick level. how long ago did you change the oil? if it was the first start i could see the light staying on for a few seconds longer.

caseybird
06-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks for your reply. The message is in written words. It is a feature to let you know to change your oil. My mistake was to not take it to the Saturn Dealer but to a corner lube & oil place. When I take it to Saturn they always reset everything. The light goes on when you first start the engine (like all the other warning lights) and should go off after 5 seconds. If you need to change your oil (which I was just about scheduled to do) ... the light stays on for approx. 15 seconds. It is not an "out of oil" light. I will have to take it to Saturn dealer for my next oil change - I'll just live with the light staying on longer than I would like until then.

Thanks again for replying.

Hi all .... I'm new to this site - hope someone has an answer that works. I changed the oil in my 2002 SC2 (3-door coupe) - but the Change Oil Soon light still stays on for an extended period when I first start the car. How can I reset that - or turn it off?

saturnsc2
06-18-2004, 12:01 PM

on my 2001 there is a little black fuse box right in front of the battery on the driver's side. you take off the cover & there is a little button that is labeled oil light. there should be an information sticker there to tell you of the procedure. i think you hold down the button for a few seconds while the ignition switch is on or something like that.....

caseybird
06-18-2004, 02:35 PM
Thank you ... that sounds like the most sensible answer - I will try that. I appreciate your response!

sierrap615
06-19-2004, 01:01 AM
I have been defeated!! :banghead: maybe its time to trade in my 94 for a newer saturn.

saturnsc2
06-19-2004, 01:23 AM
this oil light device is common on the new cars. to reset it, on some cars you can do it through the radio, & the case with the saturns like ours, you can do it under the hood as i posted here earlier. i know there is another way which i don't know off hand, but it is in my manual. i think the under hood way is the best way...

allisterc
06-28-2004, 07:43 PM
Thanks Guys. Using the above information i was able to reset my 'Change Oil Light' on my 2002 LS.(My oil was changed at a local location and they forgot to reset the light)

d4z3d1
07-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Can you reset in a 99 SC2?

sierrap615
07-11-2004, 12:30 AM
99 was sort of a odd-ball year for saturns, it may be same as above, but i'm not sure

Add your comment to this topic!