Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SUVs VS SUVs

Z_Fanatic
06-11-2004, 03:16 AM
Hi, I am looking to buy a mid-size or compact SUV. So far, I was intrigued by Nissan Xterra and Honda CR-V (2002 and after). I am looking for something good for daily driving and occasional light hauling/pulling may be. I doubt there will be any offroads venture involved. Plus fuel efficieny is another factor, as well as good-moderate acceleation/torque, and superb handling (most important). So between Xterra and CR-V, which would you recommend? Or perhaps something else then? I am looking to buy pre-owned, so my budget is under $18K. I've read some articles about these vehicles, but perhaps your personal experiences or insights may prove more useful. I am hoping to make the purchase sometime next week. I am also a new member here. Thank you very much for help.

freakonaleash1187
06-11-2004, 11:43 AM
for a mid-size suv i would either get the xterra or mazda tribute. i don't know much about suv's, but that is just what i would get.

2crunk
06-12-2004, 06:06 PM
I used to own a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport. It accelerated very nicely for being a SUV with a V-6. Gas mileage was alright, and so was handling...but you have to remember whatever SUV you decide wont have great handling. Also, there are alot of accessories for the Lib. i was surprised.

Jimster
06-12-2004, 08:22 PM
The XTerra has a HUGE aftermarket as well.

Though I havent driven one (XTerra, not CRV), but I was impressed by the CRV's road manners, very nice cars.

Z_Fanatic
06-30-2004, 02:43 PM
Im probably getting a Liberty with V6 then, just wondering has there been factory defect, recalls, or unnecessary, unreliable maintenance like the olders Cherokees? Thanks.

Jimster
07-01-2004, 12:56 AM
There was the instability issue that arose about a year ago, if you learn to drive it, then that won't matter. However I'm not too sure for recalls, I could check for you.

Z_Fanatic
07-01-2004, 02:29 AM
thanks a lot. i am trying to get a nice pre-owned mid-sized/compact suv under $15k and under 30k mileage.

lamehonda
07-01-2004, 11:51 AM
don't buy a frickin suv if your not gonna take it offroad. Waste of money and more dangerous and slower than a car. I would think you could do as much pulling with a legacy as you could with a crv

sorry, I just hate those gd suvs. I cant see over those stupid things and they stop like youve got all the time in the world. My dad has a new grand cherokee and I think I have him talked into a WRX, thank the heavens!

PS my dads definition of offroading is a gravel road :)

Z_Fanatic
07-01-2004, 04:55 PM
well I need something with lots of rear space, hauling power, and once in a while, tow something in a trailer at least. I'd get a truck, but I am afraid it's unconventional to put your daily shopping accessories out in the open cab. And I can't imagine myself driving a station wagon, ever.

2crunk
07-02-2004, 12:06 AM
I'd get a truck, but I am afraid it's unconventional to put your daily shopping accessories out in the open cab.

If your worried about that then just get an extended cab pick-up with a tonneau cover.

Z_Fanatic
07-02-2004, 12:21 AM
thanks a lot. i am trying to get a nice pre-owned mid-sized/compact suv under $15k and under 30k mileage.

outta budget, otherwise I'd have gotten Chevy Avalanche long ago. :)

lamehonda
07-02-2004, 01:05 PM
SUVs are not as cool as station wagons, just a long-term fad like the wagon

oh yeah, if you want a chevy avalanche, you are beyond help.

Sorry to be unkind, but the avalanche is fugly

Z_Fanatic
07-02-2004, 02:58 PM
SUVs are not as cool as station wagons, just a long-term fad like the wagon

oh yeah, if you want a chevy avalanche, you are beyond help.

Sorry to be unkind, but the avalanche is fugly

ok? let me know if they come out with a beautiful but powerful NOS injected Honda trucks. :grinno:

lamehonda
07-02-2004, 03:12 PM
ok? let me know if they come out with a beautiful but powerful NOS injected Honda trucks. :grinno:
I will, if ur that interested :lol:

2crunk
07-03-2004, 09:43 AM

LOL, just get a supercharged Ford Lightning :D.

dbebesi
07-03-2004, 06:13 PM
what about a minivan? maybe a nice plymouth voyager or a mercury villiger. they make body kits for the honda oddessey!

Z_Fanatic
07-03-2004, 06:25 PM
I need a SUV or a Truck with 4 doors, and under $15K and 30K mileage and year 2000 or newer. And a reliable car for the long term and average gas mileage is fine. I don't care 4wd or not. And I prefer m/t, which is why it limits many of my options. 99% of suvs and trucks are stinkin auto, it's really disappointing. So far, Jeep Liberty was the only one that met the criteria. And Xterra as well, but I hear from people that it has more of a tendency to flip over or hard to keep up in the highway when faster vehicles pass by, while the wind hits the exterior.

ToyTundra
07-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Have you looked at a 4Runnner? A hair over $15k according to kelly blue book.

I'm not a big fan of the Liberty myself because i could feel engine vibrations right through the steeringwheel durring the test drive. I could have gotten a bad apple though. The 4Runner is a truck based suv, so it will ride/handle like a truck. I also looked for a tacoma double cab, but they are too expensive.

http://www.kbb.com
http://www.kbb.com/VehicleJPegs/CUTT4RNLTD001.JPG
2000 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport Utility 4D
Engine: V6 3.4 Liter
Trans: 5 Speed Manual
Drive: 2 Wheel Drive
Mileage: 30,000
Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Single Compact Disc
Dual Front Air Bags
ABS (4-Wheel)
Privacy Glass
Consumer Rated Condition: Good
Private Party Value: $15,150

This is just an example so you need to find one that actually exists.
Start looking!

Z_Fanatic
07-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Thanks, I searched the auto trader. The only ones that meet that price range is above-40-50K mileage. Lower mileages tend to be a bit expensive. And plus it's sold by owner as is, I think he wants it cash. I need a dealer probably, so I can finance it. And yeah as for dealers, it seems they're overcharging down here in South Florida.

2crunk
07-09-2004, 01:44 PM
On autotrader.com the owner wants cash but you can still get it financed thru the bank. Once your approved, the bank cuts the owner a check and you make your payments thru the bank not the previous owner.

Add your comment to this topic!