Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

please help

snipez
06-10-2004, 11:20 PM
hi

my engine started knocking today, well i think its the engine.

i use only 91 octane fuel, new plugs, new wires, the knocking seems to be coming from the back of the engine and it gets faster as i push on the pedal. Could it be the alternator? I don't think it is because an alternator would be ticking right? help me out please

ps i'm only on for an hour so please reply

thanks

Markgase2000
06-11-2004, 01:15 AM
Could be a vacuum leak in a lil vacuum hose or a exhaust problem. Or the alternator. Dead cylinder from a improper connection. Any body else got ideas what he could look for?

GASE 95
06-11-2004, 07:14 AM
engine knocking eh? well i would probly answer the door and let him in. budum pshh. haha thank you, thank you, i'll be here all week.

jp...i dont have the first idea what that could be

GTP Dad
06-11-2004, 11:01 AM
Try to find out exactly where the knock is coming from by using a piece of plastic pipe as a stethoscope. Move the pipe opening close to the area where you think it is coming from and listen intently. If it is coming from the back of the engine it could be a rod about to come apart or a bad bearing both of which will cost you quite a sum of money to repair. If it is coming from the head you could have a bad lifter or rocker arm. Also have you considered the water pump. Often times they leak first but can go bad when the bearings wear out. It could be in the exhaust as something could have come loose but I suspect that if it gets faster as the engine rev's then it is probably something associated with the engine.
Good Luck in finding the problem.

Slade901
06-11-2004, 11:46 AM
How is your oil pressure gauge reading?
If it is 0 or close to LOW then probably your oil passage way is gunked up or clogged up.

I would do this first though.

1. Pour 1 quart of GUNK Motor Oil Tune-Up Flush to your exisiting oil. Start the engine and let it IDLE for 5 minutes and turn off.

2. Drain the oil and remove the old oil filter. You need to use 5W30 for now. Close the oil drain plug. Pour 3/4 quart of oil into the new oil filter and coat the rubber lips of the new oil filter and screw it in the engine.

3. Pour the right amount of 5W30 and measure the level. Start the vehicle and see if the knocking noise goes away. If the knocking noise goes away, then replace the oil with 10W30 after 1,000 miles.

4. If the knocking noise does not go away, drop the oil pan and clean the oil pan of debris and gunk. Replace the oil pump and oil pump strainer/filter. Put 5W30 oil in the engine and test it.

5. Ticking noise is also attributed to failing fuel injectors. Some folks pour two bottles of fuel injector cleaner to try to clean out the gunk in the fuel injector. It is worth a try.

snipez
06-12-2004, 01:00 AM
anyways

its the dumb serpintine belt again

stoopid motor mounts :(

jeremy2201
10-08-2004, 07:27 PM
gotta love the motor mounts

Add your comment to this topic!