1996 explorer factory alarm starts for no reason and then car won't start

crashw
06-10-2004, 09:07 PM
HELP
My 1996 factory installed alarm will go off for no reason. It can be after it has bee driven and then a few minutes later it start to flash light and the horn goes nuts. I can be in my office (looking through my windows at my car that is not being touched) and the alarm will go off after being parked for 5 hours. I have to remove the battery to stop the alarm. Nothing else will stop it!!! Then after one of these episodes when I reconnect the battery, it will start and I drive home and a day or 2 later the thing just won't start!! I let it sit (sometimes minutes sometimes DAYS) find a ride home and eventually it will start. Any ideas will be appreciated. I have taken it to a mechanic and he has no idea as to why it is doing this. At least he was honest and didn't sell me parts/repairs I didn't need. The most weird thing about this is that the car will work fine for a couple months and then start this craziness up again. Please help!!!!

amf742
06-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Disable the alarm system.

XLT03
06-15-2004, 01:04 AM
Check the sensors. The plunger button at the edge of the fender where the hood comes on top of. It could be an alignment/adjustment thing of just that the sensor/switch is tired or dirty. When your alarm is going off are your interior lights on? If so the alarm is possibly being set off the the door switches look in your post posts. If no switch is there, then the switch is in your door latch- spray lots of WD40 in latch and open and close the door many times to lube/clean the switch. Good Luck, let us know if this help.

Add your comment to this topic!