Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Directing A/C air.

txdomino
06-10-2004, 01:52 AM
I am having trouble redirecting the air on my A/C system. It seems to be stuck on blowing air through the vent and my feet. I change the dial to try to use the windshield defogger, for example, and nothing changes, the air still blows on my face instead of the windshield. What is the problem? Can I fix it myself and if so how do I?

Markgase2000
06-10-2004, 01:58 AM
they get sticky too , eventually it will go to the right setting lol

fluffybunny
06-12-2004, 04:40 PM
sounds like you have a bad actuator i dont have a diagram or anything on the 95's but its probably similar to my 96. the good news is the part probably isnt too expensive, the bad news is its alot of work from what i can tell. if you can find an electronic actuator on the exterior of the mode air box, or what ever its called. its a snap. but mine is showing as a vaccuum line....and its behind the heater core.... and that aint fuun to get to... check it out and try to find a picture or something that is more indepth on the procedure for replacing an air control actuator. good luck.

Markgase2000
06-13-2004, 02:20 PM
I got an idea TX , try changing the vent settings and all that while the car is off and not blowing and see if that moves the vent settings.

fluffybunny
06-14-2004, 09:12 AM
but if they are vaccuum operated they wont change....lest youre changing the hot/cold or the recuriculate/fresh air settings...... i thought he was talkin about the bilevel controls and defrost and stuff..........

95grand
09-07-2004, 04:27 PM
txdomino,

I am having the exact same problem with my 95 grand am. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

Tom94gaGT
09-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Hey, I had the same problem on my 94 grand am.. they are controlled by a vaccum line (think of the hissing sound it maked when it was working when you changed it before), your line probably blew somewhere and thats why it wont change. When mine went last year my car was still under the used car warranty so i dont know how much it cost to get fixed but it shouldnt cost too much because it was in and out of the shop in less than an hour.

richtazz
09-08-2004, 10:43 AM
you may just have a cracked vacuum line under the hood. My 91 grand prix did the same thing and it was the vacuum supply line that goes from the engine thru the firewall. They are made of plastic that gets brittle and cracks. If that's ok, then your mode actuator is bad and needs to be replaced. the mode valve actuator is on the drivers side of the heater box above the heater core, and will require you to stand on your head to replace. the AC Delco part # for a 95 is 15-71842 and retails for $10-$15. (Gm dealer part # is 01996778)

Add your comment to this topic!