Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help

LMGOO
06-09-2004, 06:47 PM
I have a 99 grand am. Have been experiencing problems starting it. When you turn on the ignition all you hear is a click..and nothing happens. But the daytime running lights and the interior lights are on, as well as the radio will play. If it sits for awhile it will start up. Any suggestions on my problem and if it is an expensive one. Also don't know if this has any bearing on the problem at hand but sometimes the car will not start, and if I give it a little gas (I know I shouldn't) it seems to start ok. As I said any help (or criticism) would be greatly appreciated....

Tiwvr1@aol.com
06-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Two things that I would know of to check. The battery, and the starter. If the batter is original, probably bout time to replace it. Also check the connections at the starter. You can pull the starter out and check it by jumping the wires, making sure the gear pops out and spins. As far as it not starting right away until you give it gas, try giving it a tune up or just replacing the fuel filter if it has never been done (manufacture says every 30,000 miles) Good luck,

Add your comment to this topic!