Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Skyline GT-R R34 vs. Acura NSX

porsche911
12-10-2000, 02:57 PM
These two are VERY close. Even in the JGTC, most of the time one of these gets 1st place. They completely dominate the Japan Racing. But I think GT-R is better in that it costs less. I like its styling more too :)
The acceleration is exactly the same or 0.1 sec difference. GT-R is 4.7, I think NSX is 4.7 too. But think if the "chip" is taken off of gt-r and it has 350 hp instantly. NSX still olny has 290hp.
I can't wait for the next generation of these cars to come out!
Again, I think both of them will be close.
What do yall think?

JD@af
12-10-2000, 06:52 PM
Hmmm...

Well, both are obivously magnificent pieces of machinery. The inline six used in the Skyline has proved to be a very versatile and coveted engine in the automobile world. It can be boosted to throw lots of power to the flywheel, and in the Skyline it makes one of the most dominating sports cars produced in Japan (especially those tuned by Tommy Kaira!).

However, I am heavily biased towards Honda, so I like the NSX. Yes, it does cost quite a bit more, but its mid-engined layout provides exceptional handling prowess, keeping the powerplant close to the power wheels. And it is a much more exclusive, exotic-looking car.

I will admit that I wanted one of the two just to take to performance exrtremes, heighten the boost levels, and drive to the limit, I would prefer to have a Skyline.

HXMan
12-13-2000, 10:22 PM
I would have to agree.

Although I love honda I would have to choose a skyline over a NSX.....they both are great cars, but having driven a fast(13.9 1/4 mile) turbo car I must say I am pretty much hooked on turbo power. It is just so easy to make a ton of power out of a small package. Although if TOO does ever come out with the SC he and his team have in development I will be quick to get one of those and a b16a.

JD@af
12-13-2000, 10:27 PM
Quote: HXMan ( 11:22 pm on Dec. 13, 2000 )
...if TOO does ever come out with the SC he and his team have in development I will be quick to get one of those and a b16a.

No argument from me...

EMV
12-14-2000, 01:05 AM
The NSX is what might be called a more traditional supercar, being mid engined and rear wheel drive. The GT-R has the awesome ATESSA 4WD system and the engine's up front. I would probably choose the NSX for myself, since the NSX are just as user friendly when you drive them around town as a Civic or something, while I heard the GTR's don't really feel at home on low speeds and tend to go all over the place. But in a race the GTR is more preferable, especially if the track has lots of bends in it and the road is wet ;)

DropGXL
12-18-2000, 10:47 PM
They seem to be fairly evenly matched. But I am a sucker for boost, so it's the Skyline for me :)

----------
Anthony
88 RX-7 GXL 88 RX-7 GS

Racer 20
12-22-2000, 10:56 PM
Skyline for me. I would have bought a used NSX (from a mag) but I didn't because I am also a fan of turbos that come with the car of the bat. But I'm talking about the R33. If it were the R34 against the NSX I would get the R34 also. It is more modern and feels like a light sporty Bimmer with out all of the luxuries and a more powerful engine.

igor@af
12-23-2000, 08:52 AM
BTW, R34 GT-R broke the Nurburgring record at 7'52. The closest car is Porsche GT3 or 996 or whichever one it is at 7'56 :)
You know, I would take GT-R for sure. NSX is a very good car, but I think it's one of the weakest mid-engined super cars I know!

JD@af
12-26-2000, 05:07 PM
igor-

True. It is weak, relatively speaking (I mean in real world numbers, 290 horsepower in a body around 3,000 lbs is not weak!), but its performance granted it makes 10 hp shy of 300 is pretty damn good. And we'll see what Honda pulls out when the V8 NSX rolls onto showroom floors in a couple years. And the direct comparisons are difficult since the GT-R is a tuner's dream car, while the NSX is a high-priced exotic that is not really intended for tinkering. It is intended to put heat from the far east on Ferrari and other supercar manufacturers (and who really goes out and tries to turbocharge a naturally-aspirated Ferrari?).

Bottom line is you're absolutely right. No argument from me! But I would still get the NSX given the choice :D

igor@af
12-26-2000, 05:17 PM
But actually, the GT-R and the NSX are in the same class. Want to know which 2 models dominate JGTC championships? I'll tell ya- GT-R and NSX. Other's that are in the same class hardly ever get 1st place. It's usually a fight between GT-Rs and NSXs.
Supra, RX-7, and McLaren F1 do stick their head in sometimes- just luck though.

Edited by: igor@af

BlaxicanYIIK
12-28-2000, 04:56 AM
[Quote] I heard GTR's don't really feel at home on low speeds and tend to go all over the place

Dude, I have heard that is entirely not true. The Skyline has been praised as one of the most controllable cars under all coditions (even normal day to day driving). However, the suspension may not be as smooth as your normal sedan obviously. Also, it was said to be very mild at normal speeds and driven like any other daily commuter...but hit the gas and the BEAST is unleashed. As mentioned, no car can quite compete with it's tunablility (most of them if not almost all). I agree the NSX has the skyline witht he looks department when sen from the front and from above. the sides are pretty much a close call (but the NSX has the advantage a little). However, I don't care if YOU don't like it, the rear of the skyline is killer (R33 and R34). I'm peaking only on stock bodies of course, when we speak of veilside(and other skyline aftermarket kits)....as far as I am concerned, it's like ...NSX? What's that? Also, the NSX is pretty dominant in the interior department. I wouldn't mind having both, but if I had to choose..I'd choose the Skyline (no question whatsoever if the R35 comes out - What could be better as far as looks and performance?- For the money atleast).Well, I'm out of things to say...I await both the NSX and Skyline..to see which (if either) really does come with a V8 (in the R35 case - if it makes it to the US at all).

igor@af
12-28-2000, 09:17 AM
Hey everybody!
Blexican is my homie gee now! :D
You know, we coule probably convince everyone in the world about the GT-R - there are so many guys that love it here on the forum.
I don't care what others say, but I want GT-R and ONLY GT-R, I don't really care about owning other cars...... except for maybe couple others...hehehehe

BlaxicanYIIK
12-29-2000, 02:27 PM
Thanks Igor... :) Hey, some of my faces don't work or I am doing them wrong, is there a "facey" legend on AF (that shows how to do them) like at FA?

igor@af
12-29-2000, 02:29 PM
yeah! the FAQ.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/cgi-bin/af/variables/faq.html

where you see this thing on top of every page-
login ¦ profile ¦ faq ¦ search
register

Edited by: igor@af

BlaxicanYIIK
12-29-2000, 04:58 PM
Oh cool! Thanks!

R33
01-29-2001, 09:59 PM
GT-R is not easy to drive? Well, I own a R33 GT-R and I must say that that's not true! I drive it to work 3 times a week ( would love to drive it every day but the "other" car needs driving as well!) and I have no problem at all. The car does 40 kph in 4th quite happily. The twin plate clutch can be a bit heavy. The suspension( I use HKS hiper damper with Eibach springs) is a bit hard but reasonably comfortable ( you cannot expect Lexus like comfort though!). Of course the NSX behaves better in the city. But the GT-R is pure adrinalin to drive. At the track, the NSX does not even come to mind. It's GT-R,GT-R and GT-r for me.

igor@af
01-29-2001, 10:21 PM
yes, NO CAR can beat the GT-R on the track.
Just look at the Nurburgring world record!
7'52 - Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 :cool:

enzo@af
01-29-2001, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by JD@af
...who really goes out and tries to turbocharge a naturally-aspirated Ferrari?.

Koenig, that's who:D. They did it to...of all things...an F-50! That takes some balls.

This is a tough call. I suppose it would depend on what it would be used for.
Daily driver: NSX
Racing intent: Skyline for it's AWD

Remember, it's not like you can force feed the NSX!

LostBoyScout
01-30-2001, 07:30 PM
I would have to also say I'd take the Skyline, I've been in awe of the Skyline ever since I first saw one, and the potential of the car is stunning too - as is the rear wheel biased AWD. Only car that gets to me more is the 911 turbo, which isn't much different!

n1m3
02-12-2002, 10:39 PM
are u joking about the mclaren f1....cuz u have to b jokin about the fastest production car in the world...dont mess with bimmer!!

USA Racer
02-13-2002, 01:10 AM
The NSX is more dreamy but the GT-R is more complete. I say Skyline. I6TT + AWD= nice idea.

Although... a track like the 'Ring is probably an extreame example of it's (GT-R) greatness. Those turns aren't daily drivin' turns. Those twisties probably put all of the GT-Rs electronics to a test.

On the drag strip, the GT-R isn't terribly impressive, but that's not what it was created for so I'll let it slide, even though it's a performance car.

The 'Ring is suited for cars like the GT-R. If you put a stock R34 GT-R V-Spec2 on Laguna Seca along with a closly priced (R32-R34 prices in America), and more powerful (thanks to no 276bhp 'limit') car like the 911 4S, F355, ZO6, E46 M3, they would give it great competition. A few of thoughs will get faster times. The ZO6 alone will kill it.

But the car is known to overcome great odds.... ;)

pw_350Z_baby
02-13-2002, 02:27 AM
All of you could choose whateva ya want, but until you've driven both of them, don't compare. I, personally, have driven both of them quite long enough to judge or make a good decision about their driving qualities. As for driving qualities, the R34 definitely has a much more aggressive stance, and it's a monster of speed right from the launch--massive torque pull. The NSX is a little more subtle but very quick as well. It requires a better launch to get the same performance as the R34, and has to rev much more (kinda like the S2000, but much more torque pull of course). In performance, I'd go with the Skyline GTR34.
However, if I could get one of these for free, I'd definitely go with the 2002 NSX-T because it performs extraordinarily, but MORE IMPORTANTLY, it's so easy to live with and drive everyday. Besides, the '02 models get a few cosmetic changes that make them look so much better.
A buddy of mine has a '99 NSX-T with a Comptech supercharger and fully loaded with everything else (DVD, $8000 20" rims, and more). Oh how envious am I of his car.
Another buddy of mine has a '00 GTR34 in white imported directly from Japan, even with the right-hand steering wheel. It's the attention getter. A very beautiful car!!! He gets picked on by the cops all the times, because the cops weren't sure if his Skyline is legal to drive or not. That poor sonofabitch! I'd take his place.:D
Well, I'd pick the NSX to live with everyday, but the Skyline to get more attention (mainly because the driver sits on the opposite side, and gets to be closer to other drivers in other cars.) And it's very rare in the U.S.
:ylsuper :badass:

USA Racer
02-13-2002, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by pw_350Z_baby
All of you could choose whateva ya want, but until you've driven both of them, don't compare. I, personally, have driven both of them quite long enough to judge or make a good decision about their driving qualities.

How fast have you driven the GT-R. What was done to it?

TatII
02-13-2002, 01:37 PM
i'd pick the GT-R hands down. even though i will never drive either car. but i love that in face look of the R34 v-spec II. the NSX looks beautiful as well, but in a different look. it lacks the muscular look and stance that the GT-R has. the GT-R is like the true japanese muscle car. its handling is also top class, and one of the best in teh world. the only thing thats stoping it from beating super cars would be its 320hp. but that can easily be changed with a few inexpensive mods. then afterwards, it will become a true super car slayer.

pw_350Z_baby
02-16-2002, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by USA Racer

How fast have you driven the GT-R. What was done to it?

I only drove it fast on the freeway to test it out. The owner wouldn't let me take it to the track; he didn't want too many mileage put on the car. :eek: With my foot floor on the gas at 65mph, the R34 surged forward like a bullet and screamed like someone was raping it. In a very very short time, I was approaching close to 150mph, but had to slow down right away. The owner sitting next to me was freaking out. :D It was very late at night by the way, so I wasn't endangering other drivers because no cars were in sight at that part. I also drove it in the cities many many times, really awesome to drive. The 4WD stuck to the road like glue. The NSX was really fun to drive as well. Too bad I don't get to drive them everyday.:(

border_project
02-21-2002, 01:29 PM
well if your in america. the skyline and nsx are almost the same price. so its not much of a big deal
if your in other parts of the world. like asia the skyline is far more cheaper.
on the track the nsx has better handling and acceleration compared to the skyline.
braking the skyline is better.
comfort...both are the same. but the nsx gives you better view.
its really up to your decision. do you like na or turbo car? mr or 4wd car?
if its styling i would go for the nsx.
but i would go for the skyline if i want to tune it

Add your comment to this topic!