Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

J30 Head Lamp Problems

pm5k@gte.net
06-09-2004, 02:31 PM
arial

I am having problems with my head lamps going out while driving at night. It is always the passenger side lamp. Then it pops on when ever it feels like it. I have replaced the lamp light, but it did not seem to fix the problem. What do Ihave to do to fix it? Or what is the real problem because no one seems to know. Where are the switches located so I can change them if that is the problem...email me pm5k@gte.net

infiniti mangler
06-09-2004, 05:31 PM
most likely headlamp relay(located upper left hand side uderhood to the right of the master cylinder) or it can be a burnt harness or wire to the headlamp, i am currently selling the relay for $25.00 which is tons cheaper than the dealer.ill even pay shipping(in the US). if the headlamp goes out, tap the relay and see if it kicks back on, then you will know for sure
i_mangle_sht@lycos.com

infinman
08-25-2004, 03:22 PM
Although eveyone is on track with the headlamp relay malfunctioning,everyone seems to ignore the headlamp switch. The headlamp{combination} switch is a very common problem for headlamps not working.Nissan /Infiniti uses what we call a hot switch.Each headlamp is controlled seperatly inside the switch.Wiring one headlamp to another will cause problems.

J30T
09-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Talked to an Infiniti service guy about the headlight problem on the J30 today, and he also suggested headlamp relay as most likely cause, but like you suggest, the headlight switch can also be a source. Additionally the Daytime Running Light module, down near Headlight relay, can also be a problem. Is the switch located in the steering column, or remote from steering column where it is more accessible?

Jasong
09-19-2004, 02:47 PM
A previous post about the headlight relay suggested removing the relay and repairing it. This is what I did and it fixed my problem for the total cost of an hour's time. I removed the single screw attaching the relay to the fender well then using a flathead screwdriver carefully unplug the two electrical plugs that connect to the relay. Then I pryed the enclosure apart using a couple of very small flathead screwdrivers to reveal the circuit board inside. Then I took my soldering iron and heated each solder joint on the back of the circuit board (there are like 20 of them). I noticed one joint was not soldered very well so I added a small bit of solder to it. Put it back together with a little clear silicone to weatherproof the enclosure, plugged it back in and reinstalled the relay with the retainer screw. You might also simply try unplugging the two electrical plugs connecting to the relay, then plug them back in as these connectors sometimes develop a small amount of corrosion on them. If this doesn't fix it then I would investigate the headlamp switch, but only as a last resort. Good luck!

Add your comment to this topic!